Welcome to ValveTime

The number one place on the internet for Valve game discussion, news, and a community full of the best Valve fans.

Marc Laidlaw Vault

Discussion in 'Half-Life' started by Asknoone, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Barnz

Barnz ValveTime Reporter Staff Member

04/08/60
  2. Otto-Grainer

Otto-Grainer Newbie

Hey, thanks.
    Er, but now, here's a little problem with dates. Certain people tend to put a month either in first or second place, so is '08' august or the day?

Then it would only be 2003, 2008, or 2009. I'd like to think that in this December, the Hadron Collider will be activated or some other facility in New Mexico (of which there is actually a rocket testing one known as 'Black Mesa', funnily enough) that will cause a Resonance Cascade. Once this year passes December, I at least hope to have my Half-Life project done. That will be be in time for the eleventh anniversary as well as the incident date. And that would be good.

By the way... what was the outbreak date for Left 4 Dead?
  3. Barnz

It's August 4
  4. Andrewrox12

Andrewrox12 Newbie

The series of the episodes could go on for as long as it can if the HL2 team and if they get to a point that they cant think of anything else that they'll just have the player play Gordon as a hold man still on the run from the combine but he meets Shepard along the way and they work together to escape the grip of the Combine.
  5. Barnz

Mr. Someguy:

I was wondering if Dr. Magnusson was the Scientist in the room where you ruin the microwave casserole. Because the reason the only Scientist that reacts when you ruin the casserole is Black, and Magnusson is not. I was wondering if there is any explanation for this.

PS: What kind of casserole was it?

Thanks.
    -Alan

Valve:

Dear Alan,

Yes, that was supposed to be his casserole, but maybe he wasn't in the room at the time. A deeper explanation is that the scientists in HL1 originally picked their models randomly, so you'd never have the same scientist model in the same scene twice...but over time this changed, and in various ports of the game I believe it might have been nailed down to just that one scientist you observed. Maybe he was just looking out for Magnusson's casserole (and told him what you'd done, sometime before disaster struck). The nature of the casserole is lost to history.

Yours,
    Marc Laidlaw
  6. ríomhaire

ríomhaire Moderator Staff Member

Magnusson is the spiritual combination of the casserole scientist and the condecending scientist from just before the test.
  7. Darkside55

Darkside55 The Freeman

Magnusson is that fucker Slick.
  8. Noodle

Noodle Newbie

ummm... all that indicates is that they only had one calendar model... and it was designed by sonebody at Vavle in December...
  9. To be fair, what justification would there be to make another calendar model? All calendars tend to be on the same date ...

If it's in the game, it means it was December.
  10. Noodle

Noodle Newbie

I know, but his justification for the calendars all being correct was that they were all the same date... meaning it would have been incorrect if the calendars were NOT all consistent... it's wierd logic, the way it was written. The point does hold, and the date is December.
  11. klow

klow Hunter

Hi there, I thought I'd dig out this old (and classic) thread to provide additional information. I got this from Stephen Bahl through Facebook on November 13, 2009. Bahl is from Gearbox and created the Race X and the new HECU classes for Op4. He was kind enough to answer some questions I wanted to ask to fill some gaps for the Half-Life wiki I admin, Combine OverWiki. Here he gives me interesting information about the Race X. Hope it's ok to put that here; I guess it is.

Here's the exchange:

12. Barnz

First of all, Rosenberg's first name is not Stanley. It's a made up name by developers of Escape Velocity, a third-party addon for Half-Life. I thought it was official at the time. I used "Stanley Rosenberg" as title when I created a Wikipedia page for Rosenberg.

Me, and my friend mailed Randy Pitchford for Rosenberg's official first name, this was his reply:

Brian Martel was responsible for texture/model creation during Opposing Force's development. He's still a lead at Gearbox.
  13. klow

klow Hunter

Hey, Barnz from Decay!

Damn for Stanley. Now that you say it, yeah, it's not given anywhere... Thanks for pointing that out.

Brian Martel could be contacted. As the Gearbox guys don't work anymore on the HL series, I guess it would be easier to get answers from them, as I surprisingly did.
  14. Barnz

I wouldn't bug them - many people who worked on Opposing Force left Gearbox ages ago, same goes for Valve. Oh, and here's a little trivial information - Rosenberg's entity name is Rosencrantz in some Decay missions.
  15. klow

klow Hunter

Nothing is trivial for me, thanks. :)
  16. Darkside55

Darkside55 The Freeman

[​IMG]
  17. klow

klow Hunter

Why are you crying, Shock Trooper?...
  18. ríomhaire

Because his existance has become meaningless. The only thing he knew about himself was where he came from, and now even that is being taken from him by the small and continuityly challenged minds of Gearbox.
  19. klow

klow Hunter

Well they come from somewhere else, and we already knew that. Nothing originally comes from Xen anyway.
  20. Darkside55

Darkside55 The Freeman

But now they might never have been on Xen, period. It opened a different rift, a rift to another dimension entirely. Ten years I been wondering where Race X came from. I always hoped they lived on another part of Xen, also having migrated there.

I was sad when I first read it but the more I think about it, a nondescript, blank slate dimension about which nothing is known is actually...kind of cool...
  21. klow

klow Hunter

Well, seeing how their portals are, I can imagine their homeworld with a lot of pink, and my eyes are bleeding already.
  22. Polaris

Polaris Spy

Thanks for your informations klow!
    Of course, we know for a long time that Race-X is not from Xen.

23. klow

klow Hunter

Yeah, nothing is from Xen! And that's why we only see Sprites there.
  24. Barnz

IIRC Matthew Armstrong was responsible for that part - I don't have his email adress. You can find him on GBX forums, his username is "hellface".

It says they use Gene Worms to assimilate planet resources, and turn them into something they can use (much like what Combine does) on strategy guide - sprites are entities to powerup the gate you see at the ending.
  25. klow

klow Hunter

Do you have a link or something to that strategy guide?...
  26. Barnz

It's no longer available. You can however get it from eBay, or Amazon. I thought you already knew about the guide - it reveals a lot of background information related to Race-X.
  27. klow

klow Hunter

Ok thanks.
  28. klow

klow Hunter

I knew about the guide, I just never read it, so I don't really know how much interesting facts it provides. And there's no "hellface" on the Gearbox forums...
  29. Darkside55

Darkside55 The Freeman

I've raised contention with that before. They would have been very well adapted to Xen.
  30. Barnz

31. klow

klow Hunter

Ah, thanks. I guess the a-z sorting is case-sensitive...
  32. tschumann

tschumann Spy

Interesting find.

Have you looked at the Gearbox .plan files on Blue's News? There's some interesting stuff there, like that the Shock Trooper was prototyped with the voice of Greedo from Star Wars: http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/finger.pl?id=293&time=19991028175005
  33. ríomhaire

Also the fact that the scientists were studying their young would indicated they were from Xen.
  34. chimpmunk

chimpmunk Tank

I thought it had always been clear race X was from somewhere else than Xen.
  35. besTechBG

besTechBG Newbie

Yes, that is correct. I do believe Race X was from another dimension, universe, or even planet, and saw a good opportunity to take over earth during the original portal storms caused by Nihilanth. ;)

However, it may not only be Earth they are after. Maybe they see Earth as a good strategic possition, because it could be possible that Earth is the perfect place for portals to Xen. Maybe Earth has some sort of anomaly, making portals to Xen to be formed easily. :O They plan failed.

Oh and by the way, first post here, hope I will become a part of the community :cheers: cheers !
  36. Welcome! One hint, use less smileys (or at least don't use that annoying-as-hell cheers one)
    Enjoy your stay, It's safer here...
  37. As Morgan said, welcome.. welcome to C17 (you know the rest). I hope you have your HEV suit juiced up.. It will be one hell of a ride.
    I ne zabravyai kaskata... :D
  38. Tollbooth Willie

Tollbooth Willie The Freeman

Marc Laidlaw is full of bullshit and Valve is bullshit.
  39. I'll ignore your post and wait for the CPs to come by and lock you up.
    Oh, lets not forget that jewel case, too...
  40. Tollbooth Willie

Tollbooth Willie The Freeman

What is it with you and jews?