Working in the construction industry can be very dangerous. In fact, the construction industry has one of the highest accident rates. Research shows that over 80,000 workers in the construction industry sustain injuries annually. These injuries are often severe, given the tools involved in construction. You have the right to compensation if you get injured in a construction accident.
If you are an employee of the company, you can get compensation through a workers’ compensation claim. This is possible if you file a personal injury claim.
If you are wondering what to do after a construction accident, seek the services of Abogados de accidentes de andamios. Here is more about what you should do after a construction accident.
Seek Medical Attention Immediately
The first thing you need to do after a construction accident is to seek medical attention. Injuries sustained in the construction industry are often severe and could result in devastating damage. Therefore, you should seek medical attention as soon as possible.
If you can, call 911 or let a coworker do it. No matter how minor the injuries feel or look, it is crucial to have a doctor examine you. This is because some injuries take time to show, and the damage will be massive by the time that happens.
Injuries on the neck, head, and spinal cord are not noticeable at first but are often catastrophic. One common mistake employees make is to toughen up and see if it will hurt the next day — don’t do that. You need to see a doctor immediately and have them document your medical results.
Construction accident lawyers or Abogados de accidentes de andamios encourage you to keep the assessment report as needed in your claim. You need a detailed medical report for your claim to be approved. You might also need it if the case proceeds to court.
Notify Your Employer
After seeking medical attention, you should inform your employer about the incident. You must inform your employer immediately to avoid setbacks in your claim. States have different deadlines for reporting work-related injuries. For example, in New York, employees must report construction accidents within 30 days of the incident. In other states, however, you gave up to a year to report the injury. Therefore, it is crucial to check your state laws and act accordingly.
It is crucial to inform your employer about the construction accident for several reasons. Some of them include the following;
- When you report the incident on time, you help accelerate the compensation process. Your employer will receive and file all the documents on time.
- Reporting the incident on time makes it look more valid and increases the chances of approval. Your employer and the insurance company will see the validity of your claim and approve it.
When notifying your employer about the incident, be sure to do it in writing and ask for a copy. Be straight to the point when writing to make things easier. Try to include as many details as possible to paint an accurate image of what happened. Abogados de accidentes de andamios advises writing the notice when the details are still fresh in your mind. Being factual and detailed will prove valuable should disputes arise down the road.
Gather Enough Evidence
Gather as much information about the incident as possible. This is crucial when proving liability and seeking approval for your claim. Claims backed up with sufficient evidence are likely to be approved.
When gathering information, there are several angles you should look at. Some of them include the following;
- Witnesses’ contact information: If there were witnesses to the construction accident, you should ask for their contact information. However, you shouldn’t force the witness to give you their contact information because that may not work in your favor. Instead, talk to them calmly and see if they are willing to help with the case.
- Photographs and videos of the scene: Another crucial piece of evidence in a construction accident is photographs and videos. If you can, take photos of the accident scene. Abogados de accidentes de andamios recommends that you take clear photos that can be used as evidence in court.
Photo and video evidence are particularly helpful if the employer fails to provide you with the necessary safety equipment. Photographs and videos document this fact from every angle. Apart from photographing the accident scene, you should also take photos of any injuries you have sustained. This builds up the case properly.
- Medical records: You should keep the medical records involved with the accident injuries. Medical records are crucial in proving that you got injured at work. They also help keep track of the expenses you spend seeking medication. This will give you an estimate of how much you should ask for compensation.
Consult With An Abogados de Accidentes de Andamios
The next thing you should do is consult an experienced attorney. If you get injured in a construction accident, an attorney will guide you on the legal steps you should take. They have the expansive legal knowledge and know rules that apply to your state.
As mentioned earlier, there are two ways of seeking compensation after a construction accident. Your attorney will help you make the right decision and implement it. The two paths to compensation are:
- Workers’ compensation claim: Construction workers can get compensated for work-related injuries through workers’ comp claims. All states have laws regarding workers’ compensation, and businesses must have an insurance policy. Your attorney will examine all the details and determine whether this option is ideal.
- Personal injury claim: Another way you can get compensated for work-related injuries is by filing a personal injury claim. This involves court procedures; your attorney will handle them on your behalf. However, this option is rarely used among construction workers.
Scaffold Accident Lawyers Will Assist After a Construction Accident
Construction accidents can be severe, given the nature of work. If you get injured while working as a construction worker, you have the right to seek compensation. This guide has pointed out the steps you need to follow after the accident. Get an attorney to help you with the process.