If you are fascinated by the fantasy of designing games, you can consider taking it as a career path. However, your chances of landing a job largely depend on how you write your resume. If you are wondering how to write your game developer resume, this post is for you. Read on!
Choose a suitable format
It is very important to format your resume properly. If you visit the best resume writing websites, you will notice that professional writers are very serious about choosing the right resume formats. Here are a few things to remember:
- First of all, write a catchy header. Include your phone number and email, but not your address.
- Make sure that the sections are clearly labeled and easily identifiable.
- There are several types of resumes. See some examples and figure out what type works in your case. In might find that chronological format is the best, partly because in this format you have to put your latest achievements and experience in the limelight.
- Choose a font that is easy to read. Make sure it is not too flashy.
- Do not include too much information. Mention the most relevant experience, and eliminate stuff that is remotely relevant.
- A PDF format is preferable.
Write an objective or summary
Your professional profile is a very important part of your resume because it can potentially make the recruiter interested in the full version of the resume. Remember, your profile should reflect the best of you.
Write a summary highlighting your accomplishments and experience. If you have a couple of years of experience, squeeze that into a summary. Mention accomplishments that are measurable. Use some numbers.
If you are an entry-level game developer, write a career objective. Explain how you will get the job done and what makes you stand apart from the other candidates. You can also suggest ways to improve performance of the farm or team.
In some cases, writing a resume can be time-consuming. That is why many job seekers choose to get their resumes written by professional writers. The procedure is pretty straightforward: one just has to find the best resume writing website, provide details and get it written by an experienced writer.
Write an easy-to-skim job description
Yes, your experience matters, but it is not the only important thing. The quality of your resume depends on how you describe your work experience. When it comes to tailoring a resume to a particular job posting, here are some things to consider:
- Use a chronological order. Put the latest achievements first.
- If you mention a job title, make sure you mention the name of the company, its location, and how long you worked there.
- Use bullet point lists to describe your roles in the previous company. But do not use too many bullets.
- When you are describing your experience, use resume words such as “created”, “built”, “developed”, “authored” etc.
- Focus on the most relevant aspects of your experience, and eliminate things that are not related to the position.
Write the education section in an appealing way
It is very important to highlight the education section. If you have more than 5 years of experience and a good degree, mention the degree, the name of the institution, its location, and graduation year.
If you have less experience, mention relevant coursework and extracurricular activities. Feel free to write what you think about educational video games and how your ideas can be useful for the company. Consider using a different section for professional certifications.
Highlight your game development skills
Your skills are the most important factor that determines your chances of getting hired. Here is how you can do that:
- First, make a list of all your hard and soft skills. Add as many skills as you can.
- The employer is looking for some specific skills. Read the job post again and identify them.
- Once you have found them, read your list of skills and pick the ones that are relevant to the job. Now highlight these skills.
- In his section, use at least 10 skills, including your soft skills.
Writing a game developer resume is not that hard. If you are willing to put in some effort, you can write a resume that works. You can get a lot of ideas by visiting resume writing websites. But one thing is for sure: you cannot use the same resume throughout the year. Even if you have not developed any new skills, you should update your resume after a certain time.