What the hell is my Steam Downloading?

G

Its not the vids btw. It says counterstrike, and its downloading something. I dont even have counterstrike for one thing. Is it downloading the full game? :D

That would be sweet.

How do I stop it? And plus it doesnt tell me how big the file is, so i might be downloading all night not knowing what it is.

Can someone explain this to me please?

rootbin

Reaction score
it's downloading cs. you don't need the full thing to play 1.6 for now.

G

I dont know I just tried it, and it tries to connect to a server, and this just sits there. And then I have to alt-tab close it. The menu and everything comes up tho. So all I have to do is go download the full 1.6 patch and I can play?

G

also, I just searched for steam 2.0 on google, and thats how I got it. I thought you were supposed to pay for it or somethin?

X

Xtasy0

Originally posted by AnAtOmEE
I dont know I just tried it, and it tries to connect to a server, and this just sits there. And then I have to alt-tab close it. The menu and everything comes up tho. So all I have to do is go download the full 1.6 patch and I can play?
if it sits there trying to connect it means its downloading stuff, just leave it, it'll download everything you need.

F

flox

half-life and counterstrike are now completely free to download trough steam.

azmodan

Reaction score
yeah yeah, but thats nothing. though i already own hl1, and done since the first release day :)

Kleptomaniac

Reaction score
If only you could play through something other than Steam... I downloaded CS and I can't even play it since the map doesn't load. I imagine it would probably be the same for Half-Life 1.

MoJo|Night

Reaction score
yes HL is now free via steam.

CS always has been free. You can install 1.5 onto any up to date version of half life. www.counter-strike.net for files.

CS1.6 BETA (and I cannot stress the BETA enough) is available free via steam only. That is what steam will download if you set counterstrike in your games preferences.

MoJo|Night

Reaction score
depends where you get it from. It's on fileplanet and fileshack (i think) to subscribers and also on csnation.counter-strike.net but you can probably find it scattered around the web somewhere for free, try google or kazaa if you can't afford $4 on csnation

vakuum

Reaction score
Steam will always be free.
It's the games that you would pay for.

Login_Here

Reaction score
On pages like FilePlanet it costs money but if you do a search on google you can find it for free.

Digital

Reaction score
Some ppl dont get shit now adays !!!

steam is FREE gooogle it noobs ... now, it has been said a dozens time so STFU !