What hath science done?

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.nature.com/news/artificial-jellyfish-built-from-rat-cells-1.11046

Bioengineers have made an artificial jellyfish using silicone and muscle cells from a rat’s heart. The synthetic creature, dubbed a medusoid, looks like a flower with eight petals. When placed in an electric field, it pulses and swims exactly like its living counterpart.
[...]
“Morphologically, we’ve built a jellyfish. Functionally, we’ve built a jellyfish. Genetically, this thing is a rat,” says Kit Parker, a biophysicist at Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts, who led the work. The project is described today in Nature Biotechnology.
[...]
In 2007, Parker was searching for new ways of studying muscular pumps when he visited the New England Aquarium in Boston, Massachusetts. “I saw the jellyfish display and it hit me like a thunderbolt,” he says. “I thought: I know I can build that.” To do so, he recruited John Dabiri, a bioengineer who studies biological propulsion at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) in Pasadena. “I grabbed him and said, ‘John, I think I can build a jellyfish.’ He didn’t know who I was, but I was pretty excited and waving my arms, and I think he was afraid to say no.”

Eejit

The Freeman
Reaction score
That's awesome and all, but will it blend?

Remus

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Bioengineer? More like god.
You're overreacting. This thing isn't what I would call an independent, organic, living creature. It's more like a proof of concept for the technology to create synthetic organs, like human hearts. This "jellyfish" requires electricity from the scientists for it to function.

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
It also only does one thing and can't eat or repair itself, let along reproduce. It's more like mechanical engineering using life as parts than making life.

Krynn72

The Freeman
Reaction score
It also is a Jellyfish made from rat bits. Both of which are Satan's creatures, not God's.

MFL

AlbatrossofTime
Reaction score
I want to give it my loving.

edit: Woo! 700! *dances*

Stylo

The Freeman
Reaction score
Yah, this thing is barely "artificial life" the only thing living about it is the cells and tissue. Without the electric pulses, it's essentially a flap of rat muscle.

But it's pretty cool though. Possibilities for being able to test drugs on it and even go on to use it as a platform for creating new organs are impressive.

Wanted Bob

Companion Cube
Reaction score
That's really cool, I would love to see if they could make it "autonomous" (by that I mean not requiring an electric field) by adding some pacemaker cells or something like that.

EDIT: Well, looks like that's what they are planning anyways.

<RJMC>

The Freeman
Reaction score
I for one welcome our new medusoid overlods

morgs

The Freeman
Reaction score
They said it was hauled from the Challenger Deep, but I'm positive that beast never swam in terrestrial waters until a week ago. There is tranquilizer gun in the shark cage, but I'm not sure it would work on this species … you're welcome to try.

Warped Dan

Vortigaunt
Reaction score
I'm willing to bet that some team out there has done this before but its only gone public now. 2012 Doomsday people.

...I'm just waiting for the day when Griffins are made

Raziaar

I Hate Custom Titles
Reaction score
You're overreacting. This thing isn't what I would call an independent, organic, living creature. It's more like a proof of concept for the technology to create synthetic organs, like human hearts. This "jellyfish" requires electricity from the scientists for it to function.
Pfft.... I feel like god when I make a science experiment volcano. Your definition of god is too strict!

Dog--

The Freeman
Reaction score
Really, I don't see why this is so great. I agree with you. You can run an electric current through a dead body and it will twitch and move. Doesn't mean it alive or anything. Pretty much any organic tissue will move with an electric current. They used to do that back in the old days (run electricity through a body) as a sideshow. Apparently it still amuses people :/

Remus

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Really, I don't see why this is so great.
It is great, for progress in creating artificial organs, and drug testing.

People are thinking OMG they are trying to create synthetic animals!11 That's not the point of this.

Dog--

The Freeman
Reaction score
It is great, for progress in creating artificial organs, and drug testing.

People are thinking OMG they are trying to create synthetic animals!11 That's not the point of this.
I don't know, I feel like while it may be a step forward in that regard, it is a definite baby step if anything.

Wanted Bob

Companion Cube
Reaction score
I don't know, I feel like while it may be a step forward in that regard, it is a definite baby step if anything.
For artificial organs, I agree that is a while off. Using this technology though I feel like it's not a stretch to design some organic "model" for which to test how drugs affect a certain tissue.

Darkside55

The Freeman
Reaction score
“You’ve got a heart drug?” says Parker. “You let me put it on my jellyfish, and I’ll tell you if it can improve the pumping.”
Very cool.