What happened to the Assasins?

Overwatch

Newbie
Joined
Dec 2, 2004
Messages
183
Reaction score
0
They got cut early on in the development.

Their face models were used for combine elites, and movement patterns for fast zombies
 

dogboy73

Tank
Joined
Oct 15, 2003
Messages
1,088
Reaction score
0
Shame. I thought they looked cool.

Looking back over all the early (Or certainly pre-theft) media it's surprising how much has changed - That famous 'City Square' shot that had the statues of horses & the line of citizens against a wall. That's not in the game. The harbour scene that was supposed to have a bunch of citizens trapped on a ship after the tide had gone out is not in the game. Some of the weapons are missing. Some of the enemies also. Plenty of the other early scenes have also been omitted. None of the material from those early E3 demo's made it to the game, I guess because of the theft. A lot of the characters clothes have changed as well. Alyx For one but her clothes look much better in the final version. as do the resistance fighters. Previously they just looked like a bunch of dentists in their white jackets & dark trousers :D

http://www.halflife2.net/media/displayimage.php?album=2&pos=36

http://www.halflife2.net/media/displayimage.php?album=2&pos=11
 

Sid Burn

Newbie
Joined
Dec 26, 2004
Messages
1,080
Reaction score
1
they were all wiped out wen black mesa exploded like Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
 

kirovman

Tank
Joined
Jul 2, 2003
Messages
8,467
Reaction score
0
Actually reading "raising the bar" they were replaced by the fast zombies. The AI code for them is the same, apparently.
 

mrkab00m

Newbie
Joined
Dec 23, 2004
Messages
180
Reaction score
0
Yeah, it sucks that some of the weapons were cut-which brings the question-WHY IN THE HELL WOULD THEY GET RID OF THEM?!?!? They are perfectly good weapons that would add a nice touch to the game. The OICW would be cool and so would the stun stick both of with are completed .mdl files, they just took them out... now if the OICW was too powerful, I would understand, but the stun stick? WHY, VALVe, WHY?!?
 

Sid Burn

Newbie
Joined
Dec 26, 2004
Messages
1,080
Reaction score
1
Anyway, does anyone here knows the creature called... Gunslinger? They looks like Assassins... its too bad valve removed that awesome looking creature.
 

Dasparov

Newbie
Joined
Nov 20, 2004
Messages
814
Reaction score
0
dogboy73 said:
Shame. I thought they looked cool.

Looking back over all the early (Or certainly pre-theft) media it's surprising how much has changed - That famous 'City Square' shot that had the statues of horses & the line of citizens against a wall. That's not in the game. The harbour scene that was supposed to have a bunch of citizens trapped on a ship after the tide had gone out is not in the game. Some of the weapons are missing. Some of the enemies also. Plenty of the other early scenes have also been omitted. None of the material from those early E3 demo's made it to the game, I guess because of the theft. A lot of the characters clothes have changed as well. Alyx For one but her clothes look much better in the final version. as do the resistance fighters. Previously they just looked like a bunch of dentists in their white jackets & dark trousers :D

http://www.halflife2.net/media/displayimage.php?album=2&pos=36

http://www.halflife2.net/media/displayimage.php?album=2&pos=11
They can still use the material for MODs, maybe they took it out so there would be diffrent things in the mod/s, they might've decided to amke a mod long ago and changed the game a bit for it
 

dogboy73

Tank
Joined
Oct 15, 2003
Messages
1,088
Reaction score
0
I'd like to see the Hydra's in future MOD's/Mission packs as well. At the time I wondered how you was going to be able to fight these creatures but it was an awesome sequence where it speared that Combine soldier.

Maybe they could have made it like those tentacle things out of the first game but instead of hunting by sound the Hydra's hunted by site! You would have to keep still when it was pointing in your general direction but you could distract it using the grav gun to hurl objects around to confuse it. That would have been good.
 

dogboy73

Tank
Joined
Oct 15, 2003
Messages
1,088
Reaction score
0
Dasparov said:
They can still use the material for MODs, maybe they took it out so there would be diffrent things in the mod/s, they might've decided to amke a mod long ago and changed the game a bit for it
So is any of the stuff from the original E3 tech demo's in there? It's already been mentioned that the Hydra coding is on there (But not the A.I. I gather). What about those lost scenes? Are any of them in there? It would be good to have this stuff in a MOD. Even if it was a sort of 'Lost levels' MOD or a remix of the SP game where they are incorporated. It's a real shame that a lot of these sections probably got dropped because of the theft.
 

PvtRyan

Party Escort Bot
Joined
Jul 17, 2003
Messages
10,027
Reaction score
0
mrkab00m said:
Yeah, it sucks that some of the weapons were cut-which brings the question-WHY IN THE HELL WOULD THEY GET RID OF THEM?!?!? They are perfectly good weapons that would add a nice touch to the game. The OICW would be cool and so would the stun stick both of with are completed .mdl files, they just took them out... now if the OICW was too powerful, I would understand, but the stun stick? WHY, VALVe, WHY?!?
Simple: cluttering of your inventory. No one needs a stun batton, since it functions the exact same way as the crowbar, useless. Same goes for OICW, the SMG has the exact same capabilities, why clutter the inventory with identical weapons?
HL2 has zero useless guns, every single one serves its purpose, every gun is used throughout the whole game (even the bugbait can function as a distraction later in the game) of what other FPS can you say that? HL did a pretty good job too, but still had rather useless weapons (gluon gun, satchel charges).
 

Overwatch

Newbie
Joined
Dec 2, 2004
Messages
183
Reaction score
0
dogboy73 said:
So is any of the stuff from the original E3 tech demo's in there? It's already been mentioned that the Hydra coding is on there (But not the A.I. I gather). What about those lost scenes? Are any of them in there? It would be good to have this stuff in a MOD. Even if it was a sort of 'Lost levels' MOD or a remix of the SP game where they are incorporated. It's a real shame that a lot of these sections probably got dropped because of the theft.
It was a TECH demo. The point of it was to show off the engine, not the levels.

I bet some of the stuff was in the leak though.
 

Overwatch

Newbie
Joined
Dec 2, 2004
Messages
183
Reaction score
0
Quoting PvtRyan:

Simple: cluttering of your inventory. No one needs a stun batton, since it functions the exact same way as the crowbar, useless.

I wouldn't mind. Nobody forces you to use the extra weapons anyway, it would be nice to have more choice.

Same goes for OICW, the SMG has the exact same capabilities, why clutter the inventory with identical weapons?

Are you kidding? Smg is unaccurate as hell, its range is harder longer than the shotgun's.
There is no assault rifle (a long range automatic weapon) like OICW ingame now


HL2 has zero useless guns, every single one serves its purpose, every gun is used throughout the whole game (even the bugbait can function as a distraction later in the game) of what other FPS can you say that? HL did a pretty good job too, but still had rather useless weapons (gluon gun, satchel charges).

And what exactly is the purpose of the pistol?

Btw the satchel charges rocked, i remember while two soldier were chatting about how Freeman was an extremely dangerous terrorist having sabotaged Black Mesa i sneaked up behind them and planted a charge. BOOM! :cheese:

My opinion is that any weapon can be useful, if used in right hands. So it sucked that they took those weapons out.
 

Overwatch

Newbie
Joined
Dec 2, 2004
Messages
183
Reaction score
0
NetWarriorDan said:
I didn't mean the pistol is completely useless (it in during Route Canal), but i want PvtRyan to explain how the pistol fits into his "every gun is used throughout the whole game" point of view.
 

Overwatch

Newbie
Joined
Dec 2, 2004
Messages
183
Reaction score
0
NetWarriorDan said:
I used the pistol throughout the game. It was better for long range.
That's what i meant.

Any weapon can be useful, if used in right hands.

Myself, i didn't use the pistol much, but i'm sure some players (like you) wouldn't be too happy if it was removed.

So my point is, there are no useless weapons, and there HL2 developers shouldn't have scrapped all that stuff they were planning. I bet having all these weapons now would make the community happy
 

kupocake

Tank
Joined
Nov 26, 2004
Messages
6,127
Reaction score
11
Overwatch said:
Their face models were used for combine elites, and movement patterns for fast zombies
True... and False. The helmet design ended up on the elites, but the AI for the Fast Zombie is from the other assassin: The Alien Assassin that was commonly known as the "Prowler"

Why the assassins weren't included? Hell knows. Perhaps like other enemies, the AI was incomplete. Perhaps there wasn't anywhere left to put them, given that the Combine Elites had to appear somewhere (though personally, I think the warehouse area at the beginning of "Follow Freeman" was probably a good place to put them). Perhaps getting a working, aesthetically pleasing Combine Elite in the game was far more important (and probably easier) than getting the fem assassin in (in the SDK, you can see a JPG of the old "Synth Elite" model that they were once using. Thank god they went with the Cricket-Player Elite of the final release). And finally perhaps they didn't fit with the story: Having a overtly female assassin contradicts the HL2 norm that the soldiers you fight are actually androgenous - nothing is said for certain about their gender, and it is at least suggested that Males and Females can be metrocops by the lady in the foodline.

I miss the clever Ninja like enemies of HL1, but there's stuff that I miss more...
 

beam

Newbie
Joined
Nov 29, 2004
Messages
398
Reaction score
0
NetWarriorDan said:
I used the pistol throughout the game. It was better for long range.
As did I,

I'm hoping then when the expansion comes out it'll be like OP4 was, adding tons of new weapons. I just want the combine sniper rifle though :burp:
 

dogboy73

Tank
Joined
Oct 15, 2003
Messages
1,088
Reaction score
0
beam said:
I just want the combine sniper rifle though :burp:
I'm surprised that there was no sniper section in HL2. Those sniper rifles with the blue lasers would have been cool.
 

dogboy73

Tank
Joined
Oct 15, 2003
Messages
1,088
Reaction score
0
Just been watching all of the original HL2 demo's that came from E3. There's so much good stuff missing. I'm pretty sure these demo's came out before the leak. Highlights not already mentioned include;

The harbour scene with the wooden jetty & dead zombie being picked at by crows.

The scene in Dr.Klieners lab where Alxy complains godon is stairing at her & Dr.Kliener tells you to be carefull after knocking a computer monitor from a desk.

The battle in tyhe streets of City17 alongside Barney. "Remember when we though Black Mesa was as bad as it could get".

The fist Gravitygun demo that looked like it was set in Ravenholm but had Combine soldiers attacking you. This demo had that famous scene where you blocked the door with a table & the soldier tried to get in but couldn't. He then whent to the window & shot you through it! Just after another soldier kicked the door down. This demo also included the drinks machine that spewed drinks cans down the stairs after you twated it with a radiator! Later this demo showed you killing Combine soldiers by triggering a trap (Swinging gurders) & then crushing another soldier by causing a container to drop on him by displacing it with a grenade. This was one of the most impressive of the early demo's.

Alas, None of this was in the final game :(
 

Calhoun

Newbie
Joined
Oct 23, 2003
Messages
2,521
Reaction score
0
Overwatch said:
They got cut early on in the development.

Their face models were used for combine elites, and movement patterns for fast zombies
Actually, the prowler's artifical intelligence was used for the fast zombies.
 

dogboy73

Tank
Joined
Oct 15, 2003
Messages
1,088
Reaction score
0
Just dug out an old issue of UK PC Gamer. It's the June 2003 issue with the exclusive preview of HL2! Looking through the article & even reading some of the stuff it's clear that Valve had little set in concrete at that time despite the fact that the game was (At the time) scheduled for release 4 months later! No surprise given what we know now. There's not a single scene from that preview that made it into the final game! there's that classic shot of 3 soldiers running down a bombed out street being pursued bya Strider. There's another really cool shot of some Ant Lions on a sandy area where the tide has gone out - In the background is a rusty old ship wreck & some buildings including a light house. There's a caption on one picture showing some flames that states, "Flame effects in HL2 will even cast real-time shadows as they burn"! Good stuff. I wonder if these images are on the net anywhere? I've never seen the one with the Ant lions anywhere but in this preview. From the preview text, "One shot shows this prison island with the seabed drained & Ant lions roaming around the rusting carcass of a ship". Also from the text, "Docks, Ships & ship interiors will also feature heavily, With a dynamic tide providing alternative access to vessels". There's loads of other stuff which makes HL2 out to be far, far more than what it turned out. It's quite funny reading it now. I might get some images of the pages & post them up somewhere (If anyone's interested in reading it).
 

Vegeta897

Banned as all ****
Joined
Jan 12, 2004
Messages
26,150
Reaction score
468
I don't think you are allowed to post magazine scans. (Or any copyrighted material)
 

dogboy73

Tank
Joined
Oct 15, 2003
Messages
1,088
Reaction score
0
I guess not. It's an old mag but still, I dont know. It's very interesting though. Very little of what was said or shown made it to the game & this was 4 months before the originaly scheduled release! Basically, They did a good job of selling something that they didn't yet have to sell! It was clearly no where near ready at the time of the preview. But off course, We all know this now.
 

jimbo118

Newbie
Joined
Nov 22, 2004
Messages
8,798
Reaction score
0
This demo also included the drinks machine that spewed drinks cans down the stairs after you twated it with a radiator! Later this demo showed you killing Combine soldiers by triggering a trap (Swinging gurders) & then crushing another soldier by causing a container to drop on him by displacing it with a grenade. This was one of the most impressive of the early demo's.
yeah that was quality,ps:this guy looks bad ass

http://www.hlfallout.net/media/displayimage.php?album=2&pos=8
 

czrsink

Newbie
Joined
Oct 17, 2003
Messages
996
Reaction score
0
Haven't some of those E3 videos made it out as HL2DM maps?
 
Top