The origins of the word "pwn"

LittleB

Newbie
Joined
Aug 3, 2003
Messages
2,387
Reaction score
0
But it's like that with most words, you never really know where it came from.
 

Pressure

Newbie
Joined
Jul 3, 2003
Messages
5,066
Reaction score
0
That's why I said it's too bad, sometimes I would like to know.
 

CyberPitz

Party Escort Bot
Joined
Aug 23, 2004
Messages
24,818
Reaction score
7
EVerybody knows it was the aliens to first say it.
 
Joined
May 5, 2004
Messages
3,996
Reaction score
70
How could they call themselves a reference if they don't even have 'pizzownt' or 'pizzowned' ...
 

madog

Newbie
Joined
Sep 25, 2004
Messages
140
Reaction score
0
Um i think someone jus hit the p instead or o in ownage. so it caught on and became the 2nd level of ownage.
 

Greatgat

Newbie
Joined
Oct 16, 2004
Messages
2,290
Reaction score
0
madog said:
Um i think someone jus hit the p instead or o in ownage. so it caught on and became the 2nd level of ownage.
But the wiki version is so much more elegant, though.
 

bryanf445

Tank
Joined
Jun 28, 2004
Messages
2,793
Reaction score
0
no one could accuratley really tell you when the first person said "pwned" so it doesnt really matter
 

<RJMC>

The Freeman
Joined
Jan 21, 2004
Messages
11,049
Reaction score
69
Due to the proximity of the "p" and "o" keys on a standard QWERTY keyboard users commonly hit the "p" instead of the "o" key, resulting in the word pwned.
LOL is that the origin?

them I will create mine LOK! oh I hiy thr wring keu!
 
D

DreadLord

Guest
<RJMC> said:
LOL is that the origin?

them I will create mine LOK! oh I hiy thr wring keu!
You do that enough already you clown.

But yea lol, saw this before.
 

BeaverMon

Newbie
Joined
Dec 11, 2004
Messages
673
Reaction score
0
Actually, I never understood the word "Owned" or "Pwned" in my life. But I never played CS online though.
That's probley why. :dozey:
 

Beerdude26

Party Escort Bot
Joined
Oct 20, 2004
Messages
10,357
Reaction score
1
-Viper- said:
How could they call themselves a reference if they don't even have 'pizzownt' or 'pizzowned' ...
It's in there, I saw it.
 

Icarus

Newbie
Joined
Oct 13, 2003
Messages
1,829
Reaction score
0
I always thought it orginiated at id sofware back in the day....coulda swore it was in a magazine somewhere...
 
Joined
May 29, 2003
Messages
5,195
Reaction score
0
A friend of mine said he wittnessed the creation of "pwned".


Someone on his server on CS typed it instead of owned and within a week it had spread past that server to practically the whole world...



You can decide whether he told the truth or not. Personally... I see no real reason to disbelieve him. He has been playing for many years... he could well have been there lol..


I of course see no real reason to actually believe him as well like... but still.

:rolling:
 
Joined
May 24, 2003
Messages
5,795
Reaction score
0
Just remember the whole idea of Wikipedia. If the article is missing information or theories then you are almost expected actually add them in yourself. Did it possibly sart at ID software? Just write a little blurb as another alternative theory. Is it missing other variations of owned? Just add them yourself.

Thats the true beauty of Wiki.
 

OCybrManO

Newbie
Joined
Jul 31, 2003
Messages
4,780
Reaction score
0
Icarus said:
I always thought it orginiated at id sofware back in the day....coulda swore it was in a magazine somewhere...
You're probably thinking of the term coined by Adrian Carmack: gibs/gibbed/gibbage/etc
 

Icarus

Newbie
Joined
Oct 13, 2003
Messages
1,829
Reaction score
0
The Mullinator said:
Did it possibly sart at ID software?
Btw, not to nitpick, just some useful info, it's id software, not ID or Id or anything else, as well as being pronounced like did without the first d, and not pronouced I.D.

id comes from "psychoanalytic theory, the division of the psyche that is totally unconscious and serves as the source of instinctual impulses and demands for immediate satisfaction of primitive needs."

I was corrected by a former editor for CGW shortly before meeting Carmack....that would have been REALLY embarassing
 

Harryz

Tank
Joined
Jul 7, 2003
Messages
4,087
Reaction score
0
Is there anything that wikipedia doesn't know?

"Al Capwned"

Haha, thats awesome, first time I heard of that one.

You've be Al Capwned, hahahahahahaha.
 
Joined
May 24, 2003
Messages
5,795
Reaction score
0
Icarus said:
Btw, not to nitpick, just some useful info, it's id software, not ID or Id or anything else, as well as being pronounced like did without the first d, and not pronouced I.D. id comes from "psychoanalytic theory, the division of the psyche that is totally unconscious and serves as the source of instinctual impulses and demands for immediate satisfaction of primitive needs."

I was corrected by a former editor for CGW shortly before meeting Carmack....that would have been REALLY embarassing
hmm I always wondered why it was always shown as "id".
 
Top