raising the bar

D

D-MAN

hi people i have just finished reading the half life 2 book called raising the bar and i would reccomend it to anyone who wants to know about how they made half life 2. its very good. it also shows some pictures of monsters that were cut out of half life 2. for example the hydra. get this book its great!!!

capteeni

Reaction score
D-MAN said:
hi people i have just finished reading the half life 2 book called raising the bar and i would reccomend it to anyone who wants to know about how they made half life 2. its very good. it also shows some pictures of monsters that were cut out of half life 2. for example the hydra. get this book its great!!!
1. we all know
2. is this valve's new marketing system?
3. ...we all know

Narcolepsy

Reaction score
capteeni said:
1. we all know
2. is this valve's new marketing system?
3. ...we all know
No need to be so hostile - it is a great book, and more people should know about it.

Reaction score
Good book, but very expensive. Well, that was when I bought it several months ago. Is it cheap now?

DarkStar

Tank
Reaction score
Black Mesa corp said:
Good book, but very expensive. Well, that was when I bought it several months ago. Is it cheap now?
It's kinda expensive but well worth it for any true HL fan.

It couldn't believe it even went into detail about the making of the FIRST HL!

Insano

Tank
Reaction score
I got it for Christmas last year, truly a good read :)

+ I didn't have to pay for it myself :p

Cypher19

Reaction score
I thought it was okay. I felt there was far, FAR too much focus on the artwork. I would have loved to see more initial level designs, more talk on the technology behind Source, etc.

D

D-MAN

Cypher19 said:
I thought it was okay. I felt there was far, FAR too much focus on the artwork. I would have loved to see more initial level designs, more talk on the technology behind Source, etc.
i agree it would of been kewl to see where they got some of there i deas for the levels from. i liked the bit showing where they found the characters for half life 2. i thought it was funny how alike some of them looked!

daverince

Reaction score
I ordered it today and should get in on Monday. I'm glad I just read those positive comments, because it cost a fair bit.

Ennui

The Freeman
Reaction score
Excellent. Wasteland concept art is top notch.

Sid Burn

Reaction score
Damn, i've been searching for that book since Feb. and I am still unable to find it.

D

D-MAN

it was changed into nova prospekt wasnt it?
anyway they are thinking of using it in half life 3

D

D-MAN

Sid Burn said:
Damn, i've been searching for that book since Feb. and I am still unable to find it.
i think play.com are still selling it. you dont have to pay for post and packaging there.

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought there was going to be a bit more story in it ;(

D

D-MAN

the story is already in the acctual game if you listen when characters speak.

Laivasse

Companion Cube
Reaction score
I'm not even a big art enthusiast but I loved the focus on the artwork! Some of the pictures ruled. A friend got it for me as a birthday present (found it in a Game store on Oxford Street handily enough), and it's a great book.

I have to agree with riomhaire though:

I thought there was going to be a bit more story in it
For me there was a bit too much focus on what got cut, as opposed to the background of what actually made it in. I think maybe the cut stuff should have formed one standalone chapter, as opposed to being mixed around and spread throughout the whole book. The way it is, you have no idea if a certain piece was cut just because it was a bad idea, or whether it was cut for convenience but is still considered part of the story, or what.

Nevertheless, it's great. So polished, + you wont regret blowing money on it.

daverince

Reaction score
Well, my copy literally just arrived on my desk at work...and it's pretty interesting. The section on the characters' faces is just...incredible. So all these people exist in real life.

Yes, Alyx is a real person...somewhere.

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
Really strange the way Isaac origionaly looked a bit like Eli and then they saw someone who looked quite like the bald scientist from HL1 and ade him Dr. Kleiner.

daverince

Reaction score
some of the artwork is amazing. I think they could've made City 17 much cooler looking over some of this. I'd love to see what they'll achieve with Aftermath and HL3.

And, yes...it's cool to see how they developed the characters. Very cool book.

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
I for one think they made all the right moves, but I think Nova Prospekt might have been better in the alternate version

Asknoone

Reaction score
ríomhaire said:
I for one think they made all the right moves, but I think Nova Prospekt might have been better in the alternate version
You mean with all the wires piling the corridors? I'm not so sure, I doubt they would have had much purpose.