Portal 2 Authoring Tools Beta Released

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
[br]If you own a copy of Portal 2 for PC then you now head on over to the 'tools' tab in Steam and download the Portal 2 Authoring Tools for free. According to the Portal 2 blog.
The Portal 2 Authoring Tools include versions of the same tools we used to make Portal 2. They'll allow you to create your own singleplayer and co-op maps, new character skins, 3D models, sound effects, and music.
What is included?
  • Updated version of Hammer, the Source level editor
  • Updated Faceposer
  • Example maps and instances to help build new maps
  • Updated suite of command-line compiling utilities
There are two mailing lists you can join if you're interested in mapping or reporting issues with the beta. See the Portal 2 blog for more info.

BakonGuy

Combine
Reaction score
I like how valve is letting us use things before they are finished/finalized lately, a lot better than waiting months for an sdk *cough*l4d*cough*. Going to have a look at this.

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
Can anyone report of the improved version of hammer?

Pi Mu Rho

ValveTime Admin | Enemy of fun
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, it looks just about the same to me.

Pi Mu Rho

ValveTime Admin | Enemy of fun
Staff member
Reaction score
I like how valve is letting us use things before they are finished/finalized lately, a lot better than waiting months for an sdk *cough*l4d*cough*. Going to have a look at this.
It's pretty much a staple of the SDK since it was first released: that it is neither finished nor finalised. Or even particularly working.

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
Is there anything different at all, and if so could you give me a quick summary?

Barnz

Retired Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
AFAIK there are no changes.

Lobster

The Freeman
Reaction score
I honestly don't have any trouble with this version or the previous version that came with Alien Swarm, but I guess I must be lucky, (though I didn't really map that much for AS, so I am mostly happy to have those features in a game I actually map for).

The main things it has over the pre-L4D versions of hammer is the instancing system, which lets you package large entity trees into an alternate map and then insert it as a single entity prefab, (which is really handy for a game like portal that uses so many repeating gameplay elements) the compiler is a little different too, but it's mostly dull stuff, so I will shut up now!

<RJMC>

The Freeman
Reaction score
can I use the model viewer to see the models of portal2?

tschumann

Spy
Reaction score
I hope that the screenshot is right and the Foundry tool does get released and Hammer gets (what I assume is) plugin support.