Les Misérables

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
Saw it last night and it's a bloody fantastic show. Pretty much as I remember the stage musical being though obviously they can do bigger things on set than on stage and I do think being in front of actual people performing and gazing down at them rather than have a camera jump about helped a elicit a bit more emotion than the cinema produced.

I do especially love the parts where people are singing different songs at the same time, Valjean and Javert's sort of fight particularly. Hathaway's I Dreamed a Dream also blew me away. Bloody fantastic.

Incidentally there was a surprising number of young fellas at the cinema. I thought they must have been there to go see Django Unchained but they followed us into Les Mis and were sitting behind us. They liked it too.

William

Spy
Reaction score
My wife is a really big fan of the musical... I actually never saw it until we went to the movies the other day. I thought it was decent... I felt that they tried really hard to make the entire movie a musical and because of that it was way too long. It gets really frustrating when every single sentence is sung and normal words become 3 seconds long. I was dying in agony during the third act.
I have some respect for the movie though, apparently they didn't record anything in studio which is amazing... everything was sung on set -- I guess it made it a more real performance.

When my wife and I went I think we were the youngest ones there... and we are 26... lol.

leib10

Tank
Reaction score
I really liked it. They did a good job of transforming the musical from a stage production into a film. I can see how people unfamiliar with the musical would be turned off by the singing of conversations, but it's an acquired taste. I really wish they had cast somebody other than Russell Crowe for Javert. Much as I respect his acting abilities, opera-style music just isn't his forte. Anne Hathaway was awesome though, and I thought the Sacha Baron Cohen played an excellent Thernardier.

Krynn72

The Freeman
Reaction score
Thernardier.
I was sort of interested in seeing this movie, until I just read this. Now I want to see it as much as I want to see that movie with a girl named catniss. Which is not at all, since whoever wrote it though catniss was a good name for something.

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
How dare Victor Hugo be French! The nerve of the man!

Eejit

The Freeman
Reaction score
Great film, the adaptations are far better than the shitty book. Hathaway was incredible.

morgs

The Freeman
Reaction score
I actually really enjoyed it. I have to say, the opening shot/scene was one of the best for me, the music mixed with those visuals was amazing. Despite popular opinion, I actually quite liked Russell's singing too.