France says "non"

the_lone_wolf

Newbie
Joined
Dec 16, 2004
Messages
520
Reaction score
1
Nice to see there's a country thats not afraid to tell europe where to cram the EU constitution

discuss........
 

short recoil

Newbie
Joined
Sep 29, 2004
Messages
2,337
Reaction score
0
It was to be expected, very much the attitude of france, good on them!
My respect for them has gone up.
 

Razor

Spy
Joined
Nov 16, 2003
Messages
4,314
Reaction score
0
the_lone_wolf said:
Nice to see there's a country thats not afraid to tell europe where to cram the EU constitution

discuss........

From what a lot of people are saying, it was more a point of the French people telling the French politician's to shove it, rather than the EU constitution. Voting on an item for reasons that have nothing to do with the item.
 
Joined
Oct 19, 2004
Messages
66
Reaction score
0
I second short recoil, this was very much expected, and its nice to see. Now Denmark, britan, and poland, I am sure are going to "say shove it!". the EU won't work. Did you know their constitution is 300 pages long? Most people haven't even read it. and their gonna vote on it.
 

Feath

Newbie
Joined
Aug 6, 2003
Messages
5,992
Reaction score
1
Razor said:
From what a lot of people are saying, it was more a point of the French people telling the French politician's to shove it, rather than the EU constitution. Voting on an item for reasons that have nothing to do with the item.
It was a bit more than that. People were actually against the Constitution for valid reasons, you know.
 

Razor

Spy
Joined
Nov 16, 2003
Messages
4,314
Reaction score
0
Feath said:
It was a bit more than that. People were actually against the Constitution for valid reasons, you know.

I know, their biggest problem was the move to a more open market but a lot of French businesses are quited disappointed with the no vote.
 

mortiz

Newbie
Joined
Sep 3, 2003
Messages
4,074
Reaction score
0
I fail to see why people would respect France more for rejecting the E.U. constitution. It's not as if the constitution required 1000 babies to be killed every year or anything.
 

jverne

Newbie
Joined
Aug 6, 2004
Messages
4,303
Reaction score
0
lePobz said:
Vive la revolution!

"Vive la revolution!" yea sure, and then you place Napoleon as emperor! :dozey:



Feath said:
Erm, they didn't say no to the EU. They said no to the new EU Constitution.

oh, come on! don't pretend to be stupid!?
 

Kangy

Newbie
Joined
Oct 2, 2003
Messages
2,447
Reaction score
0
Boo, I'd vote yes on this. Telling politicians where to shove it by screwing everybody over is ****ing immature. Congratulations France, I like you even less than I did before this thing. The concept of elections is to tell politicians where to shove it, not a matter of the entirety of Europe...

Geez x_x
 

Feath

Newbie
Joined
Aug 6, 2003
Messages
5,992
Reaction score
1
Kangy said:
Boo, I'd vote yes on this. Telling politicians where to shove it by screwing everybody over is ****ing immature. Congratulations France, I like you even less than I did before this thing. The concept of elections is to tell politicians where to shove it, not a matter of the entirety of Europe...

Geez x_x
You should realise that the French no campaign actually had some valid arguments against the Constitution. Not everyone in France is stupid. It wasn't just against Chirac's Government.
 

jverne

Newbie
Joined
Aug 6, 2004
Messages
4,303
Reaction score
0
Kangy said:
Boo, I'd vote yes on this. Telling politicians where to shove it by screwing everybody over is ****ing immature. Congratulations France, I like you even less than I did before this thing. The concept of elections is to tell politicians where to shove it, not a matter of the entirety of Europe...

Geez x_x


I used to like french too but they proved to be morons afterall! you french pretend to be mighty and want to be important, but you just can prove it! don't force me to post the "French millitary defeats" list again!
 

Feath

Newbie
Joined
Aug 6, 2003
Messages
5,992
Reaction score
1
jverne said:
oh, come on! don't pretend to be stupid!?
Please, show me where it says that this referendum was about withdrawing from the EU. France is one of most pro-EU countries in Europe. You can't just say "Oh, they don't want to be in the EU anymore."

Even in Britian, a lot of 'no' campaigners WANT to be part of the EU, but don't think that this Constitution is the way to go about it.
 
M

MjM

Guest
By the looks of it, with 70% turn out and a 10% margin they were definately against the Constitution. I dont really know anything morew than that though.

I think Feath is right. you shouldnt look at it as the French saying no to the EU.
 

Tr0n

Newbie
Joined
Jun 25, 2003
Messages
9,934
Reaction score
0
Feath said:
You should realise that the French no campaign actually had some valid arguments against the Constitution. Not everyone in France is stupid. It wasn't just against Chirac's Europe.
Yea..not everyone.About 90% stupid and 10% smart.. :p

Sorry had to get a french joke in here while I could. :D
 

Kangy

Newbie
Joined
Oct 2, 2003
Messages
2,447
Reaction score
0
Feath said:
You should realise that the French no campaign actually had some valid arguments against the Constitution. Not everyone in France is stupid. It wasn't just against Chirac's Government.
I understand that there were some very valid points made, and obviously something this big will need to be looked at time and time again before everybody is happy. Even then, there will still be a little complaining.

But this was not the time to push anger against a party, regardless, and I think without that feeling, this would have actually passed.
 

xLostx

Tank
Joined
Oct 8, 2004
Messages
3,318
Reaction score
2
most people are overlooking the fact that french people are from another universe. Seriously.
 

SimonomiS

Tank
Joined
Jun 21, 2004
Messages
4,738
Reaction score
0
Nevermind.
It was the turn-out that was high, not the vote percentage. :eek:
70-80% turn-out 54.5% vote no?
 

jverne

Newbie
Joined
Aug 6, 2004
Messages
4,303
Reaction score
0
SimonomiS said:
Nevermind.
It was the turn-out that was high, not the vote percentage. :eek:
70-80% turn-out 54.5% vote no?

yes...and? whats your point? are you trying to say the french are biger dickheads than they really are?!


edit: sorry for the grammatical mistake "...than they already are?!"
 

Feath

Newbie
Joined
Aug 6, 2003
Messages
5,992
Reaction score
1
jverne said:
oh and another thing (sorry again, but i'm really pised off)...because of your egocentrism (the 60% of voters) you destabilized the whole EU...you f****** douchebags...my country had much to gain from a powerfull EU, at lesat we'd have more jobs and opportunities!
Where do you live?
 

gh0st

Newbie
Joined
Nov 17, 2003
Messages
6,023
Reaction score
0
The only reason the rest of Europe wants France in the EU is so they can use France as a human shield in their conquest of the world.
 

oldagerocker

Newbie
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
4,618
Reaction score
0
Go France. Anyone know where I can read the constitution? I'm going to get my claws into it, all I read is biased crap and I want to know what its all about myself.
 

Adrien C

Newbie
Joined
May 12, 2004
Messages
3,352
Reaction score
0
Noooooooo.

What is my country doing ? Europe is the way to go, it's the future, united we'll be stronger. I know we have big big problems in France, saying NON is not going to change anything.

They voted no against the goverment, not against Europe. Sometimes, I wonder what wold have happened if Lepenne had won.
 

Feath

Newbie
Joined
Aug 6, 2003
Messages
5,992
Reaction score
1
gh0st said:
The only reason the rest of Europe wants France in the EU is so they can use France as a human shield in their conquest of the world.
Obviously. It's actually written in the Constitution you know.
 

Feath

Newbie
Joined
Aug 6, 2003
Messages
5,992
Reaction score
1
Adrien C said:
Noooooooo.

What is my country doing ? Europe is the way to go, it's the future, united we'll be stronger. I know we have big big problems in France, saying NON is not going to change anything.

They voted no against the goverment, not against Europe. Sometimes, I wonder what wold have happened if Lepenne had won.
Well, don't worry. Holland is expected to vote no as well. And it's pretty certain that the UK will give a no vote (especially if the Yes camp don't improve).
 

Adrien C

Newbie
Joined
May 12, 2004
Messages
3,352
Reaction score
0
oldagerocker said:
Go France. Anyone know where I can read the constitution? I'm going to get my claws into it, all I read is biased crap and I want to know what its all about myself.
Check the European site, I think it's www.europea.com
 

Cons Himself

Newbie
Joined
Oct 14, 2004
Messages
661
Reaction score
2
europa.eu.int

few options for Chirac here:

sack the government, replace them and hold another referendum
renegotiate some parts of the treaty (has been done many times in the past with previous treaties, especially on CAP)
replace the government and pass the treaty anyway without a yes vote
 

Sprafa

Tank
Joined
Sep 9, 2003
Messages
5,742
Reaction score
0
The godamn treaty should have never been called a Constitution anyway.

I don't mind very much about my own country so I would definitly say yes to an United Europe.

The problem with the EU is that it is used, like the UN, as an escape goat too many times by politicians. The truth is that both these organizations do a lot more for the World than any of the bastard politicians.
 

Feath

Newbie
Joined
Aug 6, 2003
Messages
5,992
Reaction score
1
Sprafa said:
The godamn treaty should have never been called a Constitution anyway.

I don't mind very much about my own country so I would definitly say yes to an United Europe.

The problem with the EU is that it is used, like the UN, as an escape goat too many times by politicians. The truth is that both these organizations do a lot more for the World than any of the bastard politicians.
You see, the view other here is more leaned towards "Bloody Europe, interfering with our laws". Britain is a lot more Euroskeptic.

And surely you mean scapegoat?.

EDIT:

oldagerocker said:
Go France. Anyone know where I can read the constitution? I'm going to get my claws into it, all I read is biased crap and I want to know what its all about myself.
HA! Good luck. I tried to found myself fighting with paragraph just as this:

The Union shall also have exclusive competence for the conclusion of an international agreement when its conclusion is provided for in a legislative act of the Union or is necessary to enable the Union to exercise its internal competence, or insofar as its conclusion may affect common rules or alter their scope.
It's not really written very clearly.

Also I found this rather scary:

The Union shall have competence to carry out supporting, coordinating or complementary action.
Such action shall, at European level, be:

(a) protection and improvement of human health,
(b) industry,
(c) culture,
(c)a [sic] tourism,
(d) education, youth, sport and vocational training,
(e) civil protection,
(f) administrative cooperation.
So, obviously, I'm sure that anyone who has played Half-Life 2 will be against the constitution.
 

Sprafa

Tank
Joined
Sep 9, 2003
Messages
5,742
Reaction score
0
Feath said:
You see, the view other here is more leaned towards "Bloody Europe, interfering with our laws". Britain is a lot more Euroskeptic.

And surely you mean scapegoat?.

hehe, bad spelling. And the French are pretty hammered up economically right now and are basically blaming it all on the EU. Like that Czech plummer bussiness that they claim is ruining their shit and then the Bolstein (sp??) plan that, again, they claim is trying to ruin France. And there's that whole scandal about Durão Barroso, who spent a couple of days with a Greek (RICH) friend of his in a yatch. Durão Barroso is not a good man but saying he can't be with his friends is just ludicrous...
 

Feath

Newbie
Joined
Aug 6, 2003
Messages
5,992
Reaction score
1
Sprafa said:
hehe, bad spelling. And the French are pretty hammered up economically right now and are basically blaming it all on the EU. Like that Czech plummer bussiness that they claim is ruining their shit and then the Bolstein (sp??) plan that, again, they claim is trying to ruin France. And there's that whole scandal about Durão Barroso, who spent a couple of days with a Greek (RICH) friend of his in a yatch. Durão Barroso is not a good man but saying he can't be with his friends is just ludicrous...
Wasn't it a member of UKIP that drew attention to that?

EDIT: And I think you mean Jose Manuel Barroso.
 

Sprafa

Tank
Joined
Sep 9, 2003
Messages
5,742
Reaction score
0
Feath said:
Wasn't it a member of UKIP that drew attention to that?

EDIT: And I think you mean Jose Manuel Barroso.
I think it was.
Doesn't matters really, it's just shit thrown to the fan.

And I like his old name. Muddy Tough Guy :D = Durão Barroso. It was the name he used when he was my Prime Minister :upstare:

What's up with people trying to correct a Portuguese national about his own ex-PM's name ?
 
Top