An experimental redesign of the Steam Client

nicereddy

Headcrab
Reaction score
Link to Imgur album

I should note that this isn't a skin, it's just a mockup I've been working on for a little while. I decided I'd finish it up and release it today, now that Valve has updated the UI in the latest Beta client.

Library:

Overlay:

I figured people reading ValveTime would be interested in this. I would explain my exact reasoning for all the changes, but that would take a rather long time. If anyone has questions/comments/criticism, feel free!

LukteDukte

Headcrab
Reaction score
This looks like something I would definitely use. I like that I can see everything in one window. But it's just pictures, I can't really say how it is until I tried it for my self.

Is there somewhere I can download this or you just haven't released it yet?

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice design. I'm not sure how useful it would be given the fact everything is pretty squashed together.

bluechirri

Hunter
Reaction score
I really like all the thought that went into the people on the Friends bar, haha.

It's a little cluttered for my taste - there's a lot going on. I don't care about the Trading Cards and I seek out the Workshop when I'm interested in finding a specific build for a specific game, so I wouldn't shed any tears if those boxes were moved down the page where you scrolled to them and more space was given to achievements and game stats. And I had a bit of a hard time figuring out what the second screenshot was supposed to be - at first I thought it might be a Steam Music window, and then maybe a window that opens when you click on CS:GO in your library. It took too long for me to see that you were supposed to be in a paused game of CS:GO because there's too much on the screen.

I like the brighter colors, though, especially in the Friends bar - they draw the eye. I generally prefer Friends to be in the same window so I can view it easily and not on its own, so that scores points from me. And it's very smooth and clean. Spread it out a little more and I think you've got something with potential here.

Vegeta897

Banned as all ****
Reaction score
I really like all the thought that went into the people on the Friends bar, haha.
+1 that's cute

I'm lazy so the only thing I'm saying is that I would not want the friends list to be embedded into the main window. The more windows I can have the better, generally. I want to be able to put them where I want, and I rarely need to see everything at once.