Welcome to ValveTime

The number one place on the internet for Valve game discussion, news, and a community full of the best Valve fans.

Vortigaunts

Discussion in 'Half-Life' started by DrFowler, Mar 31, 2011.

1. DrFowler

DrFowler Newbie

The Vortigaunts

I see the "Vorts" as great creatures from a far out empire somewhere in the Half-Life universe. As we only see them as hostile aliens among the other aliens coming through the "XEN" portals in Black Mesa, they are very intresting beings. However, I would have liked to know why the Vortigaunts did not speak in Half-Life 1. As in saying what they did in Half-Life's 2 to Episode 2 when killing the combine or antlions. In my opinion, Half-Life 2 Episode 2 reveals most about them. As we learn in Episode 2, Vortigaunts where once Sheapards of Antlions most likely for food and other chemicals that the Antlions produce like "the extract" that allows them to get power from the "Vortesencinse" to save Alyx. The Vortigaunts apparently have no names because they share a collective concesness. As suspected the Vortigaunts all look the same. This makes most sence but it partly it makes no sence at all. Just think, we humans are one speciese but we all look slightly different. Now, I know its a game and it would be almost impossible to have multiple skins for the Vortigaunts but, wait, can't they just do what they do what they did with the citizens? Anyway, Vortigaunts also seem to have the power to emit electrical shocks as a weapon. They might have muscles to get an electrical charge like an electric eel.
  2. ríomhaire

ríomhaire Moderator Staff Member

No need to use a huge font. Just use the normal one please.
  3. Darkside55

Darkside55 The Freeman

The vortigaunts did speak in HL1...they spoke vortigese. You have to remember that, at the time of HL1, this was a race whose interactions with humans up to that point had been, "Weird creatures we've never seen before are taking samples of our rocks and animal life," and then as the unwitting first wave of the Nihilanth's forces to invade Black Mesa. You'll notice that they have, however, picked up one human word in HL1: "DIE."

Sharing a collective consciousness is probably among the reasons the vortigaunts don't need to look different. There's no need to differentiate between them, as a species. And yes, they likely have some sort of organ that generates electricity, much like an eel.
  4. 99.vikram

99.vikram Tank

How would Vortigaunts reproduce sexually, if they all look the same? What kind of Darwinian advantage could one Vortigaunt have over another?
    And if they don't reproduce sexually, how do they?
    /serious
  5. MuToiD_MaN

MuToiD_MaN The Freeman

Perhaps the Vorts have reached a peak in their evolutionary chain, making genetic differences obsolete.
  6. ríomhaire

You have a couple of miscoceptions here. As Darkside pointed out they do speak in HL1, just not English. (I don't share Darkside's view that they shout die. Just sounds like a general high pitched aggressive squel to me.) In particular you can come across two Vortigaunts conversing in the Lambda core central area. Many people miss this as you have to avoid being spotted or they will break their conversation and attack. Two Vortigaunts communicate similarly by "flux shifting" at the Vortigaunt base in HL2, just before the pheropod tutorial.

Also, the Vortigaunts do no share a single conciousness. They can share information psychicly through the Vortessence but they are also individuals. In HL2 they mention one of their poets (it might have actually have been philosopher, I'm not sure) and then recite in Vortegese. Also, there is at least one named Vortigaunt: Uriah in Episode Two.
  7. Kyzr

Kyzr Spy

Throughout the xen part of half life 1, Nihilanth occasionally talked to you, in english, albeit somewhat broken english. This shows that residents of xen are capable of absorbing different languages, at least the more intelligent ones are.
  8. ríomhaire

I figure that Nihilanth was communicating psychicly and thus didn't actually need to know the language. He's certainly not present for most of the conversations.
  9. Barnz

Barnz ValveTime Reporter Staff Member

You got it all wrong. You can't compare HL1's Vortigaunt with HL2's, they're completely different. Vortigaunts were pathetic, low-intelligent life forms before Half-Life 2. They were slaves obeying their masters. Seriously, you got to stop making up stuff.

By the way, they really say die when they see you.
  10. Adabiviak

Adabiviak Space Core

In case the reason isn't, "Valve simply didn't want to make 50 different vortigaunt models", it would be our perception that they're identical to each other. Can you tell the difference between two black beetles? Two ants in a colony? Two American Robins?

I'm also partial to the G-Man's description of the vortigaunt's first impressions of (Gordon anyway) as a crowbar coming at them down a steel corridor.
  11. ríomhaire

So they're bathetic low intelligence life forms that converse, work in a factory and know English? Ok.
  12. Barnz

It's from one of the Half-Life previews, so yes, it's official. Take that in the face. ;)
  13. Kyzr

Kyzr Spy

Let me be clear, Vortigaunts from half life 1 are the same exact Vortigaunts that are in half life 2 and the episodes, other then the green controller thingy that they have on their torso. This green thing controls them, forcing them to attack Gordon and other humans. When we see Vortigaunts without these green things, they have (a degree of) free will, and the English that they've learned is either by observing humans, or some kind of telepathic ability.

The only reason why the Vortigaunts in half life 1 might appear to be dumb is that they are being forced to attack you. Frankly, the Vortigaunts in half life 2 aren't all that smarter, just stronger.

Oh and just because something was in the preview doesn't make it legit. Take Coach's shirt color in the l4d2 preview. It was completely different then the shirt that he wears in the game. So the trailer lied to us.
  14. ríomhaire

What exactly is from one of the previews?
  15. Barnz

the entire description is from the preview, except for the "die" speech.

Valve change stuff as they go along. Like I said, you can't compare HL1's universe with HL2's. It's completely different. Also, that's a pretty bad example.
  16. Kyzr

Kyzr Spy

I cant compare half life 1's universe to half life 2's universe? Wtf? You do realize that they're one and the same right?

By the way, where in the previews does it say that Vortigaunts are pathetic, low-intelligent life forms? I would love a source.
  17. Darkside55

Darkside55 The Freeman

The vortigaunts didn't have low intelligence in HL1, they were just slaves. In fact, during Interloper, Gordon was originally going to lead the vortigaunts into uprising. You ever notice that in the first section of the factory, they don't attack you? A creature with low intelligence would have no concept of rebellion.
  18. Hl1 universe is the HL2 universe. Its just called the HL universe.

And about vortigaunts looking the same and humans looking different. Maybe its just that humans are more materialistic than vorts are. Its just not in their culture to dress up. Common sense.
  19. Barnz

They had low-intelligence, it's clearly stated in the preview. It's not something made up for the preview, it's like a design document for the character. Half-Life universe is a lot different from Half-Life 2's, that's why I don't want them to be compared. It also says that there is a some sort of caste system in the alien world. Vortigaunts were the lowest chain in the link, similar to shudra.
  20. ríomhaire

What preview? You keep saying the preview as if we knew what the hell you were talking about. Please give a source.
  21. Barnz

Fine, I'll PM you, but promise to not share with anyone, okay?

Edit: Check your inbox.
  22. ríomhaire

Uh...why is this supposed to be a secret?
  23. Barnz

Sorry, but that's not your business. Let's keep it that way, shall we? :)
  24. Kyzr

Kyzr Spy

Barnz BOTH GAMES take place in the same universe. And why are we not allowed to see this preview that you seem to get all of your info from?
  25. Darkside55

Darkside55 The Freeman

It seems that their design evolved. The preview doc certainly seems legit--there's something written in there that pretty much verifies that the writer knew his shit--but it seems like it might've been written before it was decided that the vorts were unwilling slaves. So, initial design --> vort uprising idea that was ultimately cut, but MUST have occurred in the interim between HL1 and HL2 --> HL2 vorts with high intelligence and heavy doses of spiritualism.
  26. ríomhaire

Is this preview doc like an illegal leak or something the way you guys are going on.

All Barnz sent me a screencap of a text file BTW.
  27. Kyzr

Kyzr Spy

Its 99% certain that the vorts revolted after nihlaneth died, otherwise they would still be wearing the green torso thingies. One other possibilty is that the vorts that we saw in half life 1 are different then the ones in half life 2, like another breed or something.

And you guys shouldn't trust previews so much, they tend to be early ideas of what the game might look like.
  28. Otto-Grainer

Otto-Grainer Newbie

There's "something" written in "there" that "pretty much" verifies the "writer" knew "his shit"? "must've" been written before...? Too subjective for me. I'd like see this document myself. The vortigaunts didn't necessarily "revolt" against anyone, since there wasn't anybody left to go against... until the Combine showed up. The Nihilanth was the last of his kind. Freeman freed the Vortigaunts from him, and the Combine took his place. They were slaves again, and many still have their collars on up to Half-Life 2. The ones that don't wear them are as much rebels as the humans who aren't in uniform. And because they are rebels, they are revolting. In a sense, they've always resisted and only got a small break of freedom when they swapped masters.

There might even be a grey line once you get into the 'unwillingness' of the vorts under the Nihilanth's rule. Even if they weren't "mind-controlled" or "brainwashed" at the time of Black Mesa (which I don't believe to be the case given their obvious collar locks, controllers and partial neutrality), they still didn't have much of a choice about fleeing to Earth. I personally find vortigaunts just as spiritual in Half-Life 1 as they are in Half-Life 2, and I wouldn't make engine upgrades count as a differing breed, just different responses to different circumstances.
  29. Barnz

I don't think they were ever mind-controlled. It's the collars that make them obey their masters. When they don't follow the rules, they get electric shock through their collars to torture them.
  30. Otto-Grainer

Otto-Grainer Newbie

Yup, that's exactly my impression. I used to read about how they'd get shocked into submission under disloyalty, but I'm not actually sure how official that is anymore. It could've been made up where I got it from, but regardless, the collars alone are good enough to show they're slaves. And y'know, their names... and the rest I mentioned, too.
  31. Barnz

It's official. It's used in the game. I think I know where you got that piece of information from. Shh. ;)
  32. ríomhaire

Could be that the collars cut them off from the Vortessence.

*Cue Barnz saying that that's not what the document says*
  33. Kyzr

Kyzr Spy

The combine were there all along, and nihilanth was more then likely their slave, given his floaty thing which looks an awful lot like combine tech. I agree with you on the bit that Gordon freed the Vorts, which would explain why they all call him the FREEman. There was no evidence in half life 1 that the vorts were spiritual.

Just thought of something. This will blow a lot of people's minds', and it explains a lot. What if Nihilanth was a combine adviser? DUN DUN DUN.
  34. Barnz

that's the stupidest theory ever. combine was never on xen. if combine had nihilanth's tech, then why they want to have eli's teleporter technology. stupid. they can teleport from universe to universe. they don't have the tech for local or dimensional teleportation. their local teleporter at the nova prospekt was crushed by gordon.
  35. MFL

MFL AlbatrossofTime

I swear if the community is keeping secrets about HL from each other I'm just gonna burn this place down and call it experiment failed.
  36. Darkside55

Darkside55 The Freeman

You never declined the G-man's offer in the first Half-Life, did you? Because you might note that there was still a legion of grunts and controllers left to contend with after the Nihilanth's demise. If you think that the controllers would just willingly say, "Well, our leader's dead, time to free the slaves," well then I have some nice oceanfront property to sell you.

On Xen.
  37. MFL

MFL AlbatrossofTime

When was the last time since Nihilanth went bang that we've seen a controller?
  38. Otto-Grainer

Otto-Grainer Newbie

While that is true, we know that pretty much all the Alien Controllers left were likely stranded where they were, since they relied on the Nihilanth's "teleport network" to move around their unnatural border-world that is Xen. But they didn't all die out from the disconnection, as Darkside rightly says. They might all be extinct by Half-Life 2's time if they didn't find "a steady food supply", but that's all we know.

Heh, of course I declined the offer, who do you think I am? :p But you remember when the G-Man said:
    "No regrets, Mister Freeman, but there are a... a few survivors of your 'personal holocaust' who
    would like the chance to meet the man responsible for the total annihilation of their race...
    "?
    And when the Vortigaunts say to Freeman:
    "We cannot forget those whose cords you cut. Forgiveness is not ours to bestow."?

I know there's plenty of Grunts, Vortigaunts, Controllers and Gargantuans left on Xen, and probably Earth as well, but the controllers have assumedly lost their higher authority to answer to. They're certainly not getting another Nihilanth, so I'm not sure what exactly they're going to need slaves for if they're stuck with them without a weapon and don't have any choice but to flee the coming invasion.

Anyway, I quote the above lines because it shows there's obviously a lot of grudges against Freeman regardless of him slaying their master. The controllers would certainly try killing him every chance they get. The Grunts I'd say are just grumpy soldiers who see their right to get revenge, and same with the Vortigaunts except we don't see any in the final scene. All these guys not only feel bad, sad and angry for losing so many comrades, but what reasons do they have for believing Freeman will stop killing them anyway? It's still defense as long as he's in their world. They probably see him as just another enemy. It's only when they ally with the humans on behalf of Eli Vance that they really start to see his goals.

Oh, I thought I just read it from PlanetHalfLife years ago. I'm too lazy to check now. If it's in the game though, I'm not quite sure what part you're referring to. :p

Heh, and apart from what Barnz said, remember that the Nihilanth was never captured, confirmedly. The Combine were certainly chasing them all along, but not guarding them.
  39. Darkside55

Darkside55 The Freeman

Because they were trapped on Xen without the Nihilanth to move them around, and they died off in the years between HL1 and HL2.

Well, the vortigaunts still don't attack you in the first part of the factory in Interloper. So they don't see you as an enemy at that point. As for what the controllers would need slaves for without the Nihilanth, who knows? But they certainly would not have given them freedom, and so at some point the vortigaunts rose up against them.

Also, I personally was never of the opinion that the Nihilanth was the "higher authority" in its relationship with the controllers, but that's really neither here nor there for the purpose of this discussion.
  40. MFL

MFL AlbatrossofTime

It's true, I never saw huge chrome ass's hooked up to a controllers nethers. (Maybe the Nihilanth was just into that though.)