vBulletin 4.0 Feedback

Discussion in 'ValveTime Feedback' started by Munro, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Krynn72

Krynn72 The Freeman

I don't like orange. I don't like the space between the end of my post and my signature, nor the space between the end of my signature and the start of the next post. Reply box should be grey, not white. Icons when looking at thread lists in each section are too large, and more importantly, too bright. Really distracting. I think the big button for the "+ Reply to Thread" at the top and bottom of threads is redundant with the reply box right below it, and the quick navigation thing should be below the reply box, not above.

But I like most of the other stuff.

2. Ennui

Ennui The Freeman

Probably something you'll have to live with on a Half-Life site.

I really hate the white line between post and signature. It needs to be MUCH darker and more subtle, and maybe 50% the length instead of 100%

3. Darkside55

Darkside55 The Freeman

WHERE IS THE BLUE THEME MUNRO

4. VirusType2

VirusType2 Newbie

I feel like I came home to find all my stuff moved around and my walls painted black.

The borders are very large on a widescreen monitor. I want to change it.
    I miss the blue theme.
    It feels like I'm using a B&W monitor.
    Dark grey and orange is... really ugly.
    White textbox vs. Black = crazy eyes.

The smileys are like Atari 2600 shaped.

[​IMG]

5. Krynn72

Krynn72 The Freeman

Another thing I dont like is when large images are posted, you have to scroll within that particular post to see it. Seems really annoying, especially since an image might have fit entirely if it hadn't been constrained.

6. Pi Mu Rho

Pi Mu Rho ValveTime Admin | Enemy of fun
    Staff Member

We're going to have an automatic image resizer anyway.

7. VirusType2

VirusType2 Newbie

We got the old emoticons back. :D

Also, I like the Top button. Not sure if that's even new, but it's new to me.

8. Danimal

Danimal Companion Cube

[​IMG]

9. ríomhaire

ríomhaire Moderator
    Staff Member

For the most part the new layout is good but these are the problems. To much clashing adn too many boxes with different colours. For instance I'm typing in the quick reply box now and the buttons above clash horribly with the quick reply box. They are the same colour as the old quick reply box and it all mixed nicely. This clashes. There is also grey boxes wrapped in blue under everything. The quick reply box has one with the post quick reply and go advanced buttons and then another, empty one under that! This is unessisary and I think too many different colours in one box is bad.

Posts now have a blue box with stats, then a light grey box for the member, then a dark grey box for the post, then a light grey box for optioons. This is too much. It makes each post looks cluttered and like a bunch of different things instead of one coherent item.

The online icon is also ugly and massive compared to the offline icon.

Edit: The sub-forum icons are dark when ther is new posts and bright when there are no new posts. This is retarded.

10. Shamrock

Shamrock Companion Cube

Well, we can't see the report a post button. It looks like a grey blob until you highlight it. Also, when you go into your settings, and let's say you go to edit general settings, there's black text in there which you can hardly see at all, or even like that quick navigation text next to the drop down box. Any black text needs changed almost immediately.

11. kupocake

kupocake Tank

My profile page is making hairs grow on my chest. When can we expect flamboyant profile options?

12. Munro

Munro ValveTime Administrator
    Staff Member

I will be introducing some software Glenn found that will customise the forums for mobile browsing on Sunday.

Site is slow because lots of scripts and database tables are being worked on. This should speed up at the end of today.

I have made them a little clearer but I still need to change the icon colours.

I am trying to fix this.

The old layouts may return but I need to figure out how to get the main theme working 100% first, then it will be a lot easier to introduce more themes.

This will be fixed using a hack shortly.

Our graphics wiz DigiQ might have another look at these icons.

Vertical spacing is a bug that is still being worked on. Usernames have been fixed now, other theme issues are still being worked on.

Still working on fixing this.

Will be fixed soon.

Any better?

I'll fix these.

Needs fixing, there's a lot of css conflicts to work out.

In the next version of vbulletin expected in the next few weeks there will be a huge improvement in the customisation of profiles.

13. CR0M

CR0M Tank

Nice layout now, but light text on dark background = eye strain = migraines. Going to have to stay away from this forum until a negative colour scheme option is added.

14. ríomhaire

ríomhaire Moderator
    Staff Member

I realise my previous post might have come across as a bit hateful. I'm digging the new forum for the most part. Just those things are bugging me. The new profile layout, of instance, is pretty gorgeous and most of the new buttons are a marked improvement.

One more thing though: The join date, location, etc info on the top right of each post could probably do with a smaller font.

15. jimbo118

jimbo118 Newbie

My mind was blown for about 3 seconds when I first logged in today.

I rike eet.

Like someone said, make the username and password background white.

16. Ennui

Ennui The Freeman

Nice work Munro. With some more tweaks it should look better than the old layout ever did. I do like the new round button style and feel of everything.

If we don't offer the classic blue theme though I'm afraid the townspeople and farm peasants will take to drinking and rioting, sir. They're already gathering in the village square with their pitchforks and torches.

Another suggestion: change the "Whats New" button at the top back to "New Posts"

17. Vegeta897

Vegeta897 Banned as all fuck

"New Posts" is part of "What's New"

What's New includes other things besides new posts, such as new group messages, and new events.

I don't see the problem with this. Clicking What's New automatically takes me to the New Posts pages by default, so it's fine.

18. Ennui

Ennui The Freeman

I just like the phrase New Posts more than What's New? :p

Also group messages and events are practically non-existent (I imagine that the average user would get a new group message or event notification about 1 time for every 2000 new posts on the forum) so I stand by my suggestion :p but it's not really a big deal either way

19. Vegeta897

Well, it just wouldn't really make sense to have those things all under a tab named "New Posts" because new posts are only one aspect of what's new. Unless you're suggesting all those other features are useless, and we should just have the tab be New Posts without any other features listed under it. But I don't think that would make a lot of sense, organization wise.

As a new posts user I'm just happy it has a nice big button. Improvement over the previous theme.

And I'm also happy about no 60 second limit! pleasedon'tputthatbackin

20. Munro

Munro ValveTime Administrator
    Staff Member

What's New will shortly be including everything from the front-end and a blogging platform.

21. Krynn72

Krynn72 The Freeman

For posts or for searches? I didnt mind the post limit, but dear lord the time limit on searches was aggravating.

22. Ennui

Ennui The Freeman

As long as the link still goes to the New Posts list (not other new stuff) by default I'm fine with that.

23. VirusType2

VirusType2 Newbie

I agree with this.

24. Vegeta897

25. VirusType2

VirusType2 Newbie

That looks great. I vote in favor of this change.

26. Raziaar

Raziaar I Hate Custom Titles

The color for codeboxes is atrocious... can there be more contrast please?

[​IMG]

27. Shem

Shem The Freeman

I didn't even realize there was a post limit. I bet some of you guys could crack out around three a minute, no doubt.

28. 15357

15357 Companion Cube

Give me the old look back. This one sucks. I caan't get used to it, and my eyes seriously hurt from the horrendous color.

29. Krynn72

Krynn72 The Freeman

To be honest, I think I've only ever run into it like two or three times. Its pretty hard to do unless you only have one short post to read before replying to someone. Otherwise you're usually reading like 5+ posts which will usually take more than 1 minute anyways.

30. ríomhaire

ríomhaire Moderator
    Staff Member

New forum icons are good but at the top left of each post there is an icon that's supposed to tell you if a post is new or not, but the new post icon looks almost identical to the non-new post icon. The non-new one is white, and the new one is mostly white with some very light blue. This (like the subforum icons where like before you fixed them) makes the new icon posts darker than the non-new. Even so they look so similar anyway that it barely makes a difference. I use the new post icons a lot to find where I had previously left a thread but with the current icons every post looks new!

31. Insano

Insano Tank

Is it possible in this version to get a PM if you're quoted?

32. Pi Mu Rho

Staff Member

If it is, why would we want to enable it?

33. Vegeta897

Yeah, that sounds kind of silly. Don't you check/read the threads that you've posted in?

So what's taking so long on that 100% width? Is it that hard to change one number in a .css file?

34. ríomhaire

ríomhaire Moderator
    Staff Member

Maybe the site admins prefer 80% width.

35. Vegeta897

Yeah, I bet that's totally it Riom.

36. Pi Mu Rho

Staff Member

Munro has relatively limited time to work on it. There should be some more progress tonight.

37. ríomhaire

ríomhaire Moderator
    Staff Member

I AM VEGETA. MY OPINIONS ARE LAW.

Edit: It seems that the allcaps filter is gone.

38. Vegeta897

Yeah, it's not like everybody else in here was expressing their disapproval of these pointless margins on the side of the page, or that all the people in steam chat I showed the 100% width thing to were all for it.

And it's not like this is a feedback thread, either.

Would you quit being a troll? Why do you have to attack me at every turn lately?

Edit: The allcaps filter has been gone for a while now.

39. DEATHMASTER

DEATHMASTER The Freeman

Now when you all say "fixed width" do you mean you want it stretched to the full screen (how I prefer it) or that super narrow shit?

40. Vegeta897

What most people want is for it to be stretched to the full width of your browser, like I showed in my screenshot. I understand that there are some people who will want a fixed width, because they browse the net with widescreen resolutions (to those people, I really recommend having your browser in windowed mode, taking up half or 2/3 of your screen. No website is designed for widescreen viewing, and you can put things like chat windows or what-have-you in the empty space where your browser isn't) and it's too much for the page to span that wide; it makes it not so easy to read.