Valve Extends Educational Support for iD Tech

Discussion in 'News' started by Pikminiman, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Pikminiman

Pikminiman Assistant Writer

Back in June 2012, Valve first announced “Teaching With Portals,” which was part of a U.S. Department of Education initiative to push electronic teaching methods into schools. Among the DoED’s partners for this endeavor was Valve (then called Valve Software), who offered up Portal 2 and its puzzle creator/editor to help practically illustrate parabolic and harmonic motion.

Though it isn’t directly related to the “Teaching With Portals” initiative, Valve have also had a hand in supporting iD Tech (no affiliation with iD Software), “the leading summer STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) program for ages 7-18 held at over 80 universities nationwide.” The program uses example and project-based learning to help students understand firsthand how a hobby such as gaming can manifest in the real world as a career in design or production.

iDTechValve.PNG
    About iD Tech, as per a press email from Doug Lombardi:
    You can visit the iD Tech website by clicking here. As always, we’ll be sure to keep you up-to-date with all of Valve’s latest pursuits, both educational and recreational.

2. Skyace65

Skyace65 Vortigaunt

I went to the camp over the summer, it was great, everyone played TF2 whenever we had a break.

Also i got a Valve/Steam lanyard which was awesome

• Like Like x 2
  3. User With No Name

User With No Name Space Core

Interesting. I'm still interested to see if Valve will pursue that whole "Steam in Schools" intiative they started with Portal 2 by adding more games. Team Fortress 2 could teach kids about the fundamentals of economics and Dota 2 could help them learn multiple languages.

#3 User With No Name, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  4. Pikminiman

Pikminiman Assistant Writer

This is one of those forum posts where I very seriously cannot tell if it's meant as a 100% serious post, or if it's a joke. I get the feeling it's a bit of both. Either way, I lol'd.

5. Wheaties-Of-Doom

Wheaties-Of-Doom Space Core

And remember, Half-Life teaches the ultimate life lesson: disappointment.

6. User With No Name

User With No Name Space Core

More or less a joke. While I'm sure Valve could figure out a way for TF2 to teach basic economic skills, the most language learning you'll probably get out of Dota 2 is the word cyka.
    (Cyka is russian for Bitch)
    Still, it's fulfilling to know I mastered the art of subtlety!

7. Mididda

Mididda Spy

Why US only ? ;_____; AND Y U SO EXPENSIV ???? ;_______________________;

I guess I have to stay in my basement LAIR of shameful HL fan- stories, concept arts and OTPs, and try not to burn my whole house trying to modify my PC, so it could handle SFM without crashing. Hip, hip, hooray for nerd-ism !

[​IMG]