Featured Valve Announces "The Lab" - A Compilation of VR Experiments Set in Aperture Science

Discussion in 'News' started by -smash-, Mar 7, 2016.

1. -smash-

-smash- Content Director
    Staff Member

spacer.png
    aperture-vr.jpg

Valve has announced today a new set of VR experiments called The Lab. Featured in the Aperture Science universe, these experiments offer "multiple ways to enjoy room-scale VR." The Lab will be free of charge on Steam and is slated to release this spring. More information about The Lab will be given during next week's GDC.

Here's Valve's official announcement of The Lab:

• Like Like x 3
    #1 -smash-, Mar 7, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  2. Ennui

Ennui The Freeman

Expected something like this and looking forward to hearing more details. I'm getting really damn excited about the Vive.

3. User With No Name

User With No Name Space Core

Exciting! I had a hunch Valve was crafting a VR game of their own, but I didn't expect to see it so soon. So what's this "pocket universe of Aperture Science" that the game will be set in? Is it the universe Bendy is from?

4. -smash-

-smash- Content Director
    Staff Member

I'm not sure this is a "game." Sounds like similar demos to Robot Repair all rolled into one package.

I took "pocket universe" to mean a "little relevance to the world at large."

5. Omnomnick

Omnomnick Retired Lead Content Creator
    Staff Member

Portal 2's final DLC introduced the multi-verse, which featured an infinite number of pocket universes. While it was never used much in Portal 2, it gives Valve the narrative freedom to do just about whatever they want with Aperture and the universe without messing up the main "canonical" storylines of Portal and Half-Life.

The Lab clearly takes place across numerous several of these universes, with one of the server cabs in Robot Repair even mentioning this directly (including in builds that are well over a year old).

upload_2016-3-8_1-58-6.png

• Like Like x 1