This just in: People with low iqs tend to gravitate towards conservative ideology

Discussion in 'Politics' started by CptStern, Jan 26, 2012.

1. CptStern

CptStern suckmonkey

you dont say

http://news.yahoo.com/low-iq-conservative-beliefs-linked-prejudice-180403506.html

for clarity's sake; it's saying that if you're a social conservative (racism, prejudice, homophobe) chances are you are dumb

2. Maestro

Maestro The Freeman

No, Stern, if you're dumb, chances are you're conservative. It's a subtle but fundamental asymmetry of the statement that study makes. It's the classic if A then B does not prove if B then A.

We can determine that the average conservative is not very smart by looking at their picket signs or average IQ vs. political dominance, instead.

3. CptStern

CptStern suckmonkey

they're specifically talking about racism/prejudice. the study is out of canada; social conservative is not a party affiliation. I dropped the "social" out of the title of this thread because it wouldnt fit

4. RakuraiTenjin

Demographics man. I know a LOT of really dumb people who are loose as a goose. Was this sampling from a major metro area or a rural area?

'tend to be socially conservative' would have fit and been better. I'm 'conservative' but really not socially conservative that much. I believe in freedom (socially AND economically)

5. CptStern

CptStern suckmonkey

large groups

6. Maestro

Maestro The Freeman

Basically if you're dumb you're more likely to be a Family Values(TM) racist conservitard. That is what I am reading.

7. DEATHMASTER

DEATHMASTER The Freeman

Not surprising.

8. RakuraiTenjin

Also this:

I think this is very true. Every racist and every extreme wealth redistribution supporter I've ever spoken to you have to use less abstract terminology and speak more simply. I find that easy to do and I can generally get along with anyone, but now that I think about it those that I do have to 'simplify' for have the most extreme views (even if they're not political)

9. Dr.Demento

So then it's not just conservatives who are retarded if one can deduce that extremists in general are retarded. Doesn't really matter if your views are left or right and I agree. SENSIBLE people tend to have higher IQs.

10. Bad^Hat

Bad^Hat The Freeman

Oh ok.

11. ríomhaire

ríomhaire Moderator
    Staff Member

So basically stupid people take a concrete extreme view based on a simplistic worldview instead of taking larger realities and the stance of others into account?

12. Mr Stabby

Mr Stabby Tank

I'd like to hear, all you liberals' jumping on the IQ bandwagon, opinions on the bell curve.

13. Krynn72

Krynn72 The Freeman

I prefer when there's two of them side by side. Evolution makes me enjoy it more.