Stuck in electrified water in Urban Flight

Discussion in 'Half-Life' started by oranjdisc, Jun 3, 2006.

1. oranjdisc

oranjdisc Guest

UGH! So I flipped the electrical switch in the back of the water-filled room in the basement (during the Urban Flight) and I can't figure out how to get out. Can't step in the water 'cause it kills, so I try to ride the ceiling-tongue guys up, but when I shoot them they let me go straight back down. I try to skew my fall to the side (to get on the second floor) but I go straight down every time. How do I get out of this?

2. Inflame007

Inflame007 Newbie

you have one of this floating blue canisters,turn off the electricety and put the canister under the broken bridge so it will hold it. turn the electricety on and move!

3. oranjdisc

oranjdisc Guest

Oh man, thanks so much for the help. Haven't needed it up til this point in the game! I'm out and running.

4. Reginald

Reginald Newbie

That puzzle was really quite hard I thought. I knew what to do but it didn't occur to me to turn off the electricity again.

5. CodeFire

CodeFire Newbie

I really loved that part. A nice and calm puzzle with water. I love HL2 water levels.

6. iLLiCiT

iLLiCiT Newbie

LOL ya the FIRST thing i did was shut off the power hhahaha.....

7. VortigauntLover

This was actually one of the easier puzzles for me.

Heh.

8. TheDan

TheDan Newbie

Oh my God the BARREL!! Why didn't I think of that... hmm.. I just turned on the switch, ran and jumped off the end of that broken walkway and jumped out of the water onto the ledge. Only took a little bit of damage :D

9. Black Op

Black Op Newbie

The first time through, I wasen't quite sure how to use that blue barrel. So I took it like a man and accepted getting fried. It was only the second time did I realize where to place that barrel.

10. Naudian

Naudian Tank

I'm surprised how easily all the puzzles went for me...

This one had me for a minute though...

11. bigburpco

bigburpco Tank

Yeah, same.

12. webmonkey8

webmonkey8 Guest

Thank you, Inflame007! I was also stuck at that part also. :)

13. ríomhaire

ríomhaire Moderator
    Staff Member

That puzzle stumped me (heh, it was 1 o' clock in the morning). I originaly thought I had to stack things on one end of the walk like a see-saw until I realised (the next day) that the barrel floated :p

14. jimmyjam

jimmyjam Newbie

I hope there are more puzzles in episode 2
    I liked how ep1 mixed together puzzles and action so much more than hl2, but the game just seemed so devoted to wall-to-wall gunfights

15. spurrymoses

spurrymoses Guest

My solution should work but the physics engine fails

Hi Guys,

I wonder if anyone tried to solve this puzzle like I did (see below). This solution shows up a bug, which I've reported but am yet to hear back from.

I noticed that the electric door, automatically opens and closes when the electricity switch is turned on and off . So I tried this:

1) While the electricity is off, place the barrel just oustide the electric door (which opens automatically when the power goes on - and shuts again, when it goes off)
    2) Swim back and turn on the power
    3) Use the crossbow to shoot the barrel (which is in front of the now open door)
    4) The barrel gets pushed inside the door, thereby preventing the door from closing again.
    5) If you didn't quite get the barrel positioned correctly, while the elecricity is still on, use the Gravity Gun to position the barrel where it will jam the door. You can just get close enough to exert some pulling power without getting electrocuted
    6) Turn the power off and swim over to a door that is jammed open and you can walk through!
    6a) It should work, the physics up until this point works... but guess what....
    The barrel gets stuck, but the door still closes - and upon inspection, you see that the Half-life2 physics has entirely failed logic! ;-) That is, the barrel appears half inside and half through the door.

See
    Barrel half-through door

I wasn't trying to be overly clever, this was my first attempt at solving the thing. Eventually, I got through the expected way, but am still disappointed because my original solution was valid.

16. Inyssius Grey

Inyssius Grey Newbie

Wow, that is one clever strategy. I tried to get across via the barnacles, then went for the barrels when that didn't work out.

17. dogboy73

dogboy73 Tank

I figured out the barrel thing straight away ........ but I messed up my jump & got fried in the water!! Turned off the PC after that.

18. Yogibbear

Yogibbear Newbie

In reply to "the clever way" of jamming the barrel in the door

I reckon that those security doors would be pretty hardy (otherwise we could just dismount the door with the gravity gun!), so if you put the barrel in the way (which must be plastic and empty) the security door would crush it, and shut. So... just because they haven't made the barrels "crushable" doesn't mean your method is valid...

Anyway yeah... go my crappy defense of valve... Though nice idea. Maybe one of the metal barrels? Then i'll accept it. :afro:

19. Ennui

Ennui The Freeman

i did that too. the barrel didn't occur to me until after i had already gotten past that part. this section was probably the place i got stuck the longest in all of E1.

20. The Monkey

The Monkey The Freeman

There was a barrel?

21. Geogaddi

Geogaddi Newbie

Didin't even realize you could do it that way. I just used fancy footwork all the way back to the door....

22. Hullu

Hullu Newbie

Me too. I jumped from the broken 'bridge' on top of the thingy that has electricity flashing all around it, then onto a pole to the right, then I shot 2 barnacles dead and jumped into the room that had a poison headcrab inside. From there you can jump back to the 'sidewalk'. I took no damage at all.