Ok a lot has been happening with Team Fortress 2 lately hasn't it? Meet the Pyro was finally released as well as a demonstration of Source Filmmaker. You can sign up for the beta of Source Filmmaker here.
A major update was of course also released and here's what you need to know:
Full patch notes here.
- New Special Delivery gamemode which has both teams competing to carry a neutral flag to a drop point (in this case a Mann Co. rocket).
- New item sets for Scout, Sniper and Soldier and a new flare gun for the Pyro.
- Pyroland was added to the game. You can visit Pyroland as a Pyro by equipping the Rainblower, Lollichop, Burning Bongos or Infernal Orchestra. You can visit Pyroland as any class by equipping the Pyrovision Goggles (to claim yours at "Vintage" quality just play Team Fortress 2 any time between now and the 5th of July) or Balloonicorn. Pyrovision Goggles will still be available after the 5th of July if you manage to dominate a player who has a pair of their own.
- In Pyroland everything is bright and cheery, health and ammo pickups use their birthday mode models, sillygibs are enabled, blood is replaced by balloons and fire by pixiedust and rainbows. Other players laugh when injured and have higher-pitched voices. Pyroland items are only visible to players in Pyroland. Other players will either see nothing or the stock items. Pyroland is only fully supported in DirectX 9 and on the following maps: 2Fort, Dustbowl, Badlands, Doomsday, Viaduct, Hightower and Gold Rush. Otherwise you will see some features of Pyroland but not others.
- In the advanced options menu you can set the game to always show Pyrovision when spectating.
- Various community contributed cosmetic items were added; the Medic can now wear an Ushanka to match his pocket Heavy's.
- All the "secret treasure" items (the banana peel, pocket link, etc.) are now piles of ash. Crafting ash will result in either a Pyromania item or a scorched crate. You can open scorched crates with scorched keys, available in the Mann Co. store.
- The following weapons have received balance changes: Gloves of Running Urgently, Tomislav, Quick-Fix, Crusader's Crossbow, Cozy Camper, Concheror, Crit-a-Cola, Bonk! and Phlogistinator. All Flamethrowers have had their damage tweaked and the Equalizer has been split into two weapons: the Equalizer and Escape Plan.
- New Robot Chicken Hat which you can claim by signing up for the Adult Swim newsletter before the 4th of July.
- Alien parasites, stuffed dolls, parrots and balloonicorns equipped by the player get kill assist credits for all unassisted kills.
- Various bug fixes were also implemented.
New Team Fortress 2 mechanise was added to the Valve Store, including highly detailed portrait posters of all nine classes and Saxton Hale and your very own inflatable Balloonicorn!
But that's not all! According to rumours popping up on the Facepunch forums and SPUF Valve has snuck in robot heads (see below) for each of the nine classes into the Source Filmmaker beta. They are definitely not the same as the ones made by Hunter-Killer that we previously discussed and were probably made by the TF2 team themselves. Reddit user bhaji also claims to have received an email response from Jeep Barnett of Valve that Source Filmmaker was not the "top secret project" mentioned in a previous TF2 blog post. One can only conclude that we still have some sort of robot mode to look forward to later in the year.