Do you like adding custom games to your Steam list but hate how they don't show up properly in grid view? A new public beta is available that allows you to use custom banner for all your games. To sign up for it open the "Steam" menu at the top left of your client and in the Settings tab select the option to change your beta participations and find "Steam beta update".
Once you've downloaded the beta you can change each game's banner by right clicking on them in the grid view and choosing the "Select Custom Image" option. The default size for the banners is 460 x 215 pixels so try to cut your images to that size.
Hopefully this will be rolled out to everyone soon. The full patch notes are as follows:
- Added warning message for users on XP SP1 or lower, support will be dropped August 31th 2012.
- Grid view now supports applying custom images to games and shortcuts, via the grid item’s context menu
- Fixed a bug where if you were disconnected from Steam, then reconnected, any tabbed chats would paint wrong until you changed tabs
- Fixed clearing login information in case “Don’t save account credentials on this computer” is checked
- Fixed HTTP proxy related download issue
- Fixed client crash related to game stats system
- Logging more details about game download issues