Marc Laidlaw Vault

Discussion in 'Half-Life' started by Asknoone, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Colonel Kernel

Whoops, sorry about that. :D

What is it with you and Valve?

2. Tollbooth Willie

Tollbooth Willie The Freeman

I asked first buddy!

btw I'm just picking at you, I don't mean any ill will towards you or Valve.

3. Colonel Kernel

Yeah, I know. :)
    You know, you kinda remind me of a guy I know... as a character.

4. klow

klow Hunter

I would like to continue this thread with recent words from Marc and others about the issues pertaining to the date of the Black Mesa Incident, and gather the facts I have.

If you have followed the Portal 2 updates on GameInformer.com, you might have seen that the last paragraph of the original Aperture Science timeline has been expanded (the new text starting after "In many ways, the initial test goes well:"), hinting that the Black Mesa Incident occurred in 1998 (I won't go into detail with the other dates that have been changed). Many gamers including me found it lame and strange that HL was set during the same year it was released, and that it sucked that "1998" was too unlike the original "200-" date given back then.

So I started my investigation by writing on Facebook to the GI girl who wrote the article, Meagan VanBurkleo, on March 25, 2010, asking her where did that new paragraph come from, and if it had been written by Valve or if the GI team made it up. Here's what she answered the very same day:

Then I saw that several gamers had written to Marc about this and that he said that the BM Incident had not occurred before the noughties. For instance, a fellow user on Combine OverWiki also asked him for clarification. In a nutshell, "Is that 1998 or 200-?" Here's what he said:

Not completely content, I decided to ask him myself for clarification on April 9, 2010, and maybe get a precise date for the BM Incident (who knows?). I also told him that this apparent mistake also made some mess on our wiki (Combine OverWiki), and that we changed many pages more or less for nothing. Here's what he answered, not without some ironic humor:

Not the best answer from the master, but better than nothing!

Then I annoyed Meagan again on April 17, 2010, to try to understand how that confusion came to be and see if she heard any word from Valve about that mistake. Here's what she said on April 19:

So it appears that our friend Erik is the culprit. I wondered why he didn't consult Marc before. How can't he know now that there are many hardcore HL fans who take these dates very seriously! :p Then I wrote to him, but about something else. We won't get any more from them, so let's be content with what we have.

5. ríomhaire

ríomhaire Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks for the update on that. I was wondering about how the two dates matched up but I wasn't really bothered to be pro-active about it. Just try not to get Erik fired by pointing out this mistake too much!

6. Polaris

Polaris Spy

Thanks a lot klow! Always nice to see some valuable info here...

7. klow

klow Hunter

You're welcome! ;)

8. ríomhaire

ríomhaire Moderator
    Staff Member

I was re-reading over the emails you got from Laidlaw and
    I just realised, this is a bit of a stealth jab at the Portal writing team isn't it? Just replace Aperture with Portal and Black Mesa with Half-Life.

9. ríomhaire

ríomhaire Moderator
    Staff Member

Should this get re-stickied?

10. Vegeta897

Vegeta897 Banned as all fuck

Do you have a batch of new mails to post?

11. kineaesth

kineaesth Moderate
    Staff Member

I have several hundred out-of-office replies that I personally received from Marc, and a few mailer-daemon responses as well. I'll add them to the OP and resticky the thread in a while

12. klow

klow Hunter

Hey guys, some new facts about the Borealis, retrieved by ШЛЫК from the Half-Life Beta Project.

13. Lilgreenman

Lilgreenman Medic

Thanks for the stuff, I'll post them on the Steam forum version once it gets back online

14. klow

klow Hunter

You're welcome.

15. klow

klow Hunter

Here is further info about the Race X, in a 2006 e-mail exchange between Combine OverWiki's Marphy and Gearbox's CEO Randy Pitchford. In the e-mail Marph asks Randy what is the role of the Race X in the Half-Life universe.

Question:

Answer:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Barnz

Barnz ValveTime Reporter
    Staff Member

Does Valve have any concerns over releasing old builds of Half-Life?
    Me - April 27, 2015

Hey Marc

I was wondering - I know a person (though I don't want to reveal his name) who happens to have a pre-release build of Half-Life from late 1997, and he's been teasing people on several websites since 2013. When I asked him if he could share his copy with other people, he said he couldn't do it without Valve's permission. Does anyone at Valve actually mind this? Are there any legal issues preventing him from uploading the contents of the disc?

Thanks.

Does Valve have any concerns over releasing old builds of Half-Life?
    Marc Laidlaw - April 28, 2015

I’m not a lawyer but I wouldn’t advise doing this without legal authorization. “Does anyone at Valve mind?” is not the same question as “Is it legal?” Even if “anyone at Valve” is fine with it, the ownership of the game at that point in time could be legally complicated. Messing with someone else’s IP is risky.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Abelard Tullus

Abelard Tullus Sandvich

I sent an email to Mark about Cremators (and also putting in that they were my favourite cut enemy), asking why they were cut and if they were canon since a head of one can be found in Black Mesa East. He didn't seem to answer directly, but he said some interesting stuff nonetheless.

18. Lila03

Lila03 Headcrab

I remember reading that it is very likely that Shepard will be the dude in Portal... His name is alot like the gun abbreviation.

19. tomemozok

tomemozok Space Core

What did i miss? TL:DR someone?

20. Clan Wolf 2

Clan Wolf 2 Hunter

from 2011 portal 2 ARG
    Valve have been dropping cryptic hints that there's more to come from the ARG . A decrypted morse code message hidden in the latest Steamcast read "it's not over the others have been compromised." Later, a message from the mysterious "Doug" alludes to an Aperture Science Icebreaker Ship. The only one of those we know about is the Borealis. The Borealis was last seen seen at the end of Half Life 2: Episode 2.

The details here have been gleaned from the Valve ARG wiki . Here's the message from Doug in full.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---LOG FROM [ REDACTED ], BY J.H. TO C.J.---

1. We designed the entire thing to be very, very durable. It was easy to get the materials since everyone's been thinking it's a simple icebreaker ship. Ha.

2. We have made sure to strip it of anything not necessary, so that we have plenty of space for it. It doesn't have any backup supplies in the event the crew runs out of food, though. And there isn't much food onboard in the first place.

3. In the event you need to send it off all of a sudden, use the OR box with code 'hb1'.

That's all, C.J. Not much else I can tell you other than this won't leave a blight on our record. Mesa is going to be sore when they see what we've done.

21. Dindex

Dindex Headcrab

22. Ennui

Ennui The Freeman

Might as well throw this up here... recent email exchange I had with Marc on 12/3/16:

Me:
    Marc:
    :(

23. Evo

Evo Tank

This makes me sad :(

With Marc's departure from Valve, I've all but given up on Gabe's empire ever focusing on Half-Life again, at least not as a traditional FPS. They might do some wacky VR stuff, but that won't be of any interest to me.

What a shame.

24. Ennui

Ennui The Freeman

I'm sad to say I agree. We are all of us relics of a past age. But damn, what an age it was!

25. ríomhaire

ríomhaire Moderator
    Staff Member

I mean wasn't he posting on Twitter from the personal of Dr Breen's conciousness in an advisor body for a little while? Kind of suggests he was interested in exploring Half-Life in a different way at some point.