Hi im new to the forums, and i also had a question

Discussion in 'Half-Life' started by ManHacks, Aug 10, 2004.

1. ManHacks

ManHacks Newbie

hi, I was looking for a popular Half-Life 2 forum and this one has 60 people viewing at once late at night so i figured it was a nice one :thumbs: . Im really looking forward to this game, and untill then i want to know as much as i can so ill get the most out of the game when i get it. Ill be hanging out in these forums to get more and more info, and there is a lot of info here!

Anyway, I was wondering, if someone bought the Single Player version of Half-Life 2 from walmart or w/e, could they purchase Multiplayer support from valve? If they did would that cost less becuase he already had the single player version? Im wondering becuase my friend doesnt have a broadband connection and he wants to get the single player version becuase its cheaper, then when he gets broadband in 4 months or so, he wanted to upgrade to multiplayer.
    Thanks! :bounce: <-- lol i have never seen that smile before, its pretty funny!

2. Letters

Letters Tank

First of all, welcome. :)

And I actually haven't heard of a multiplayer-only version... I'd just suggest going ahead and paying for the singleplayer+multiplayer version if he plans on eventually getting it anyway, so, if there ends up not being a multi-only version, he's not stuck paying even more. Plus, since it supposedly performs just as good as Half-Life 1 over the internet, a broadband connection is not absolutely required to play online if he couldn't contain himself. ;)

3. The Mullinator

I don't think anyone really knows yet, very little information has been released on this whole business of the different versions yet. :(

I would think that you will be able to upgrade but I suspect that it would end up costing more than if you got the version with Single Player and multiplayer in one.

Oh and welcome to the forums! :thumbs: :bounce:

4. ManHacks

ManHacks Newbie

alright, im just a little confused too with all these versions. But the one thing i know is that if i reserve it at gamestop ill get the retail version which is single+multiplayer. He is trying to spend as little as he can, hes getting a new pc also. But i dont think it would be that much more anyway. Ill convince him to get retail.

Thats great news that you dont need broadband. By not having broadband do you mean that he could play on dial up? Or do you mean he could be on a slower internet like DSL but not as slow as 56k. His computer is well over the requirements, exept that. Can he run on multiplayer with dial up? Thanks again!

5. B.Calhoun

B.Calhoun Newbie

Most definatly! Welcome to the forums

6. Rafa 5.0

Rafa 5.0 Spy

W :bounce: E :bounce: L :bounce: C :bounce: O :bounce: M :bounce: E
    (you really like the smiley^^)

Actually, even though we rant about the most pointless things here, (toilet paper thread :naughty:) , I don't think that this has been discussed, but guess we won't know until the game ships, or someone e-mails Valve.

(Please don't e-mail valve, it will only take time away from completing the game and I'm pretty sure that Gabe is sick of all the e-mail by now)

7. Letters

Letters Tank

Don't be ridiculous... :rolleyes:

And, yes, dial-up should be just as usable as it is in Half-Life 1.

8. ship

ship Newbie

I don't really know the correct answer, but I just wanted to welcome you to the forums! :bounce: :thumbs: :E

9. joepjens

joepjens Newbie

Welcome

And ofcourse you can play online whit 56k, you will only have some higher ping than the most.

10. Feath

Feath Newbie

It was confirmed last year that if you have the single player version you can pay the difference and upgrade to the Multiplayer version over Steam. I'll have a quick look for the quote.

EDIT: I couldn't find it but I really do remember seeing it.

11. lans

lans Newbie

Don't email valve....jeez, if valve didn't want to read our mail they don't have to check their inbox and check it anyway. :rolleyes:

Anyway, welcome to the forum, ManHacks! :)

12. Varg|Hund

Varg|Hund Newbie

Welcome to the forums!
    Excellent...I now have three manslaves...You WILL be my manslave, won't you? :O

13. Maui

Maui Newbie

Check it out! A new member who appears to have passed AT LEAST the fifth grade english classes! /me applauds.

Anyway, welcome. :thumbs:

14. Chris D

Chris D Administrator.
    Staff Member

As far as I can guage, one of the advantages of Steam powering Half-Life 2 and future titles, is that you will be able to customise your packages how you like. For example if you buy Singleplayer only, you should be able to upgrade your game to SP + MP through Steam.

Likewise I'd imagine you could upgrade to include CS:S into your package too. If someone could get clarification from Gabe, then that will be good to see.

15. DevgruSeal

DevgruSeal Newbie

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS :E

I think you and your friend are better off getting the SP\MP version.

That is all that I have heard of, anyways.

16. ManHacks

ManHacks Newbie

LOL. Thank you, thank you. I studied very hard to pass 5th grade.

Also, i just got back from talking to an employee at Gamestop, and he said that he actually playtested the game at Valve a bit ago. He told me that it was very fun, and he said from what hes played, it should live up to its hype. I was very happy to hear that, and didnt hesitate to reserve it. :thumbs:

17. dart321

dart321 Newbie

Welcome to the forums! But I think that Gamestop guy might be messing with you. Do you live anywhere near Seattle (or in it)? I'm not saying its not possible, I just find it very hard to believe that a humble Gamespot employee was invited to valve to play HL2. Who knows, maybe he knows somebody.

18. ManHacks

ManHacks Newbie

i live very close to seattle WA, 3 hours driving, and he was high on the gamestop ranks, he didnt say how though, but he sounded like he knew what he was talking about.

o btw, i asked to reserve it AFTER he told me that, so it wasnt a trick to get me to buy it, i can see where my story could lead that way lol.

19. dart321

dart321 Newbie

Then I stand corrected.

20. Liquid Air

Liquid Air Guest

Get the normal version, when broband comes, he can play online.

21. Hectic Glenn

Hectic Glenn Site Director
    Staff Member

Ive never been sure when people use that term, SP and MP as in Halflife2 normal, and online play? OR Halflife2 normal, and CS : source as the MP? I want the buy the SP/MP release, so i hope its the one that includes CS:S!

22. ManHacks

ManHacks Newbie

well dart, i didnt know that valve was even close to me before you mentioned it, thats cool. Do you know which city its in? Do they have a place where you can go in and look at stuff? Or is it just like a office building and you arnt allowerd in.

23. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Guest

sup

Wont let me post a message that short

24. ManHacks

ManHacks Newbie

the SP/MP is the retail, or normal version of HL2. its the one you will get when you preorder, and its the most common version. If you were asking, atleast thats what i thought you were asking when i read it.

25. Hectic Glenn

Staff Member

So if i buy the SP/MP will i get Halflife2 AND Counter Strike: Source?

26. aeroripper

aeroripper Tank

I belive gave said that CS:S WILL be included for free with HL2 (HL2 SP+MP i'm assuming)

27. Hectic Glenn

Staff Member

As they say 'assume' and you make an ASS out of U and ME. So those guys (im sure there will be very few) who just buy the SP, wont be able to play CSS? Im now assuming CSS counts as the 'MP' and that there is no Halflife2 Multiplayer itself? Confusion is a horrible thing :(

28. Feath

Feath Newbie

The Single Player version doesn't run mods. So CS:S will definately not be included.

29. ManHacks

ManHacks Newbie

o ya ok i see, umm i read that CS:S will come with the retail version of HL2

30. Hectic Glenn

Staff Member

lol, this is why im so confused! Ive just read a few things around, and i understand you need halflife2 to play and mods at all. Okay, but IF you can download these mods, from steam etc (which i assume is the situation with CSS, unless i overlooked it) whats the point of getting the package of Halflife2 with multiplayer if you can download it for free!?!

I doubt this to be correct, so im assuming the multiplayer on this package is not CSS, but just like Halflife2 deathmatch online or something? Can anyone out there confirm this, or correct it. Id really appreciate it!

31. ManHacks

ManHacks Newbie

the way i understood it is that HL2 has a single player mode, and a multiplayer mode (not sure how mp mode works). CS:S was also included, but is not the HL2 multiplayer. I assumed that there were 2 different mp games.