Help needed for this new project!

Discussion in 'Game Modifications' started by xtremeradeon, Sep 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xtremeradeon

xtremeradeon Newbie

Hi, I am currently making a mod that is inspired by CRYSIS. This project will contain simple weapon modding (like CSS) and New Weapons. And also new graphical features like Depth of Field, Motion Blur and Sunbeams like the ones in Garry's Mod. Levels will be wide open outdoor areas and takes place on a deserted island. I only know how to build levels :(...

-Programmers: Code Weapons, the Depth of Field, Motion Blur and Sunbeams like in Garry's Mod.

-Modellers: To model trees, vehicles, NPCs and weapons, and the customizable armor thing.

-Texturers: Make textures for models and levels.

-Level Designer: To build levels.

NOTE: I got to sit for my PMR Exam on October 1st so this project will start it's development after the PMR. The mod's storyline and gameplay will be posted here after my PMR.

Thanks and please give some advice too..

2. Pi Mu Rho

Pi Mu Rho ValveTime Admin | Enemy of fun
    Staff Member

I...

You know what, I'll leave it to the others.

3. Yorick

Yorick Guest

Welcome to the forums! I'm Yorick, you aren't going to like me.

1. What are you doing on the team?

2. How much knowledge do you really have about editing a game engine? You seem to want to add a whole lot to the source engine. There aren't many coders to be had.

3. Did you write a design doc?

4. How big is the mod that you need so many people for each position? Five level designers?

5. Your project is too ambitious and is going to fail.

4. Asknoone

Asknoone Newbie

You're not going to like me a whole lot either.

You're making several fundamental mistakes and your mod is going to flop miserably. Your sights are ridiculously high. You've done a fine job of describing Crysis and I'm still yet to work out the whys of this project (arguably an important factor). Here's one: why are you doing this for Source?

Now try this one: what are you bringing to us as a game? You've described real-time weapon modding systems, customizable armour, new weapons and breakable vegetation (surprise, pretty much everything that can be found in Crysis). A good game these do not make. These are mundane features, and won't propel your game experience above the rest. You're doing nothing interesting at all except maybe the impossible and downright silly. You are a mod, and thus your capabilities are limited and you must operate within the bounds of feasible and reality.

5. -Psy-

-Psy- Walking round in women's underwear

Real-Time Weapon Change? :LOL:

Half the changes you want to make are simply not possible using the Source engine. You would be better off using Unreal3.

6. Yorick

Yorick Guest

That's actually a good point. I haven't played Crysis, but if this mod is to be inspired by it then I assume they share some of the same features. Why not make the mod for Crysis? It seems like it would save you a ton of time and work (by people you don't even have =\)

Psycho your sig makes me rofl.

7. egoncalo

egoncalo Newbie

You won't like me either, but I'll wait till another day to show you why.

8. Ennui

Ennui The Freeman

Yeah ****ing right. I'm all for fresh blood on the modding scene, but this is laughably ridiculous.

9. Kadayi

Kadayi Newbie

Given the above email address I'd suspect that this guy is in fact taking the piss in the first place gents (no need to be so serious in your rebuttals). Perhaps here merely to dribble on in a similar fashion like oh so many Doom 3 fans did all that time ago about how awesome the Doom3 engine is on said game. Crysis does indeed look like it runs on an impressive engine, but the actual "game" looks like the worst most hackneyed and generic FPS available. I'll take decent storyline and game play over visual effects any day personally.

10. Asknoone

Asknoone Newbie

What a shite thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.