Headcrab Union Interview Black Mesa Source

Discussion in 'News' started by Kangy, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Kangy

Kangy Newbie

The Headcrab Union have posted their interview with the team behind the Black Mesa Source modification, which completely revamps the original game within the Source engine.
    [br]
    [br]
    [br]
    [br]Check out the rest of the interview here

2. badenglishihave

Ha. Poor Valve. What are they gonna do, cry because someone's releasing a better looking and free alternative to HL1:Source? These guys sound like they know what they're doing, can't wait for 2007 :E .

3. WhiteZero

WhiteZero Tank

Yeah, long wait for this remake. But it will be worth it.

4. Noobulon

Noobulon Newbie

Nah, they'll laugh that someone's done it for them, for no pay :thumbs:

5. alphadec

alphadec Newbie

But why are they not gonna impliment "special forces". ????

In my opinion that was the best part of Hl1.

6. Sentinelrv

Sentinelrv Newbie

I guess that they want Half-Life 1 to directly connect with Half-life 2, and to do that, they need to only make one Barney.

7. Kalashnikov

Kalashnikov Newbie

Who says we are not implementing the blackops?

8. SimonomiS

SimonomiS Tank

He either means Opposing Force, or he doesn't think you have the Black Ops as theres no media on them.

Skin-tight leather in Source? :naughty:

9. Smigit

Smigit Newbie

or skin tight leather in real life.....(and thats available now)

10. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Newbie

Um, no, they mean exactly what they said: They would prefer people concentrate on releasing original content rather remaking existing content. If anything, Valve is being generous not shutting this mod down immediately as they have every right to.

11. Kalashnikov

Kalashnikov Newbie

What you say is partially true, the ball is and will always be in Valve's court throughout the duration of development for Black Mesa: Source. However, they knew that this would happen, that a remake of the original would be formed and developed simply because of the following statement "...a community remake is not only possible, it is inveitable...". They know of us and they know about us and quite simply they cannot get involved because of IP issues. If they come out and support us, then that may be interperted to some as a free use of their IP. Then, if this goes too far and events in a real IP Infringement case, those who used IP illegally would stand up and shout "why did Valve do nothing about BM:S?"

Simply put, if they support us, it could lead to issues later on with IP. If they don't, then they stay out of possible IP issues as well as allow the community to produce a game modification that they wanted in the first place, without Valve Software spending thousands, maybe even millions reconstructing the game. Even though Valve has almost every right to shut us down, there would be NO ONE benefiting from it. The community would lose what so many are calling "the way Half-Life: Source was MEANT to be" and I have seen almost an equal amount say "the most anticipated modification of Half-Life 2". I am not trying to be egotisitical here, but Valve would not benefit because they're image of community development support would take a hit for shutting down a modification.

I don't know how many times I have had to reply to such comments, but I think I'll just stop replying to them.

12. Ol'Master

Ol'Master Newbie

Just have a copy and paste answer. Thank you for the explanation though.