Gabe finally talks Half-Life 3

Discussion in 'Half-Life' started by SpotEnemyBoats, Apr 22, 2012.

1. SpotEnemyBoats Companion Cube

Message Count:
  2. Vegeta897 The Freeman

Message Count:
    Is the part at 22 minutes the only time he talks about it? If so, that was zero new information and thanks a lot for getting my hopes up, jerk.
  3. Yorick Guest

That's the exact same stuff he has said before.
  4. [Dragoon] Vortigaunt

Message Count:
    Am I the only one who actually enjoyed Ricochet? Used to play it occasionally at LAN center lock-ins, so I suppose it's just more fun as a LAN game. Also interesting to note that we generally had more people playing locally than were playing on all of the pub servers combined (which was, like, three people).
  5. Robbo Spy

Message Count:
    I don't know if this counts since he didn't really day anything at all.
    I tried to play Ricochet a few times in the early days. Everything moved very fast then I died, that didn't last very long.
  6. kineaesth Moderate

Message Count:
    Call For Communication: Ricochet 2 Edition
  7. BabyHeadCrab The Freeman

Message Count:
    Richochet 2 was backhandedly 'promised' by Gabe. I am utterly enraged.

I would very much still like to decapitate people with disks and powerups updated to the CS:GO/L4D2 engine. But they'd better not touch the minimalist approach to level design and shameless renting of Tron's Disney Cyber-verse aesthetic.

In all seriousness, I would enjoy a proper Ricochet: Source immensely. I'm talking the DoD:S treatment, not the Half-Life: Source rubbish.
  8. SpotEnemyBoats Companion Cube

Message Count:
    The part where Gabe mentions that HL3 development team continues to develop for the said game since EP3 was scrapped, is pretty much news to me. I don't think nobody knew if the game was being developed or not.
  9. ChiliFan Space Core

Message Count:
    yeah that bit was good

no, wait, no it wasn't, because he never said that
  10. BabyHeadCrab The Freeman

Message Count:
    Ice burn, bra.
  11. SpotEnemyBoats Companion Cube

Message Count:
    Gaben: "No, everybody who has worked on Ricochet 2 continues to work on Ricochet 2 [laughs]."
  12. Lobster Moderator

Message Count:
    Well if he really was talking about Half-Life then I am bloody disappointed.

Back in the cold rainy November of 2000 I had just lost my closest friend and beloved family pet 'Lucky' (The spotted Orinoco Goose) after she had a disastrous encounter with a speeding breakfast cereal truck. Wallowing from depression in my bedroom I crawled out of my sweaty bedsheets of despair and turned on my PC.

What cheap videogame thrill could dull the still-fresh pain of bereavement that throbbed in my soul? Counter-Strike? The explosive deaths of terrorists are known to be excellent at warming the hearts of children everywhere.. but my slow growth into adulthood had turned their vibrant bloody plight into a grey miasma of ironic loathing.

How about Day of Defeat? Relatively fresh and new in the world, still damp from its mothers womb and buzzing at the bleeding edge of Internet news and intelligent conversation (Quakenet IRC) .. but in just months it had become 'yesterdays news'. No one out there appreciated that I had played DOD back before it was popular! (Launch Night during the infamous FileShack blackout of September that year).

So what was left? What beautiful glowing disc of pure awesome could fall from the sky and save a young mans emotional well being on a dark evening such as this? Ricochet.. with its glowing neon lights floating in black nothingness. Some said it was pointless, others said Valve had dropped the ball! One guy spammed WTF several hundred times before being put on ignore.. but I knew the truth.

Twelve years on and the community isn't as strong as it once was, and the tournaments don't see the activity that they once did. What was once a bustling hive with upwards of 27 peak-users! is now lucky to stay in single digits, and sometimes I log into the Ricochet channels on IRC and feel like I am the only person who uses them anymore! But as my closest friend ChatBot#377768 always says "It has been 1741 days since the Channel Topic was Updated" which fills me with hope.. hope that each passing day brings us closer.. closer to that sequal we all dreamt of.. and an end to the darkness once more.

[IMG]

Disclaimer: Above story may or may not be based on real events.
  13. Darkside55 The Freeman

Message Count:
    Just FYI, if Gabe comes through I plan to make good on that offer I made awhile back to purchase a few copies of Ricochet 2 for people. Of course, Pi set the dates for all entrants to October (of 2013)...
  14. ChiliFan Space Core

Message Count:
    right, not "[ricochet 2] has been scrapped and its development team is now working on [ricochet 3]"
  15. DEATH eVADER Space Core

Message Count:
    Valve Employees would get upto shannanigans?
  16. SpotEnemyBoats Companion Cube

Message Count:
    Gaben was being sarcastic.

Didn't some Valve employees put HL3 in rocks recently during the company vacation trip to Hawaii?
    But didn't he mention they were done with the episodic formula? It would make sense to not have a HL2: Episode Three, but a Half-Life 3. Not just because of all these years, but a full game would be more marketable.
  17. Darkside55 The Freeman

Message Count:
    Gabe would never lie about Ricochet 2.
  18. SpotEnemyBoats Companion Cube

Message Count:
    Laughing when mentioning Ricochet 2 was laughing of happiness, then.

Totally, Ricochet 2 would have a massive story arc like gaben said.
  19. Member Since:
    Jul 10, 2011
    Message Count:
  20. Vegeta897 The Freeman

Message Count:
    I love you.
  21. TechnoHippyChic Companion Cube

Message Count:
    Welcome to CostCo.