Demensional Teleportation Gun in HL2

Discussion in 'Half-Life' started by BabyHeadCrab, May 20, 2004.

1. BabyHeadCrab

BabyHeadCrab The Freeman

after reading the awesome lamda project thread (thanks for that) I have theorized that the gun that makes people float in the air and eventually disappear into thin air is some kind of teleporter similar to what adrian shephard incounters in Opposing Force (giant worm blob that you have to shoot in the eyes) (also a gun that YOU use if you recall to instantly waste xenners or bad guys in HL) it is my theory that these people are being used for something on the planet that the striders/race-x/combine? are up to.

2. Dead-Inside

Dead-Inside Newbie

Actually I believe it's similar to an atom-splitter though it splits a person.

3. SMT

SMT Newbie

Interesting theory either way. Hmm.

4. Mac

Mac Newbie

yah i like this theory as well.
    cuz it looks like they glow for a bit while theyre floating and then all of a sudden they disappear, only to reappear somewhere else?

sounds legit :cheers:

5. MoJo|Night

MoJo|Night Newbie

I thought they were just being frazzled and did a glowy afterimage kind of thingy.

6. snark^

snark^ Newbie

Seconded. Or their bodies are burnt to toast, floating away on a breeze before disintegrating into ashes.

Like the way Gordon's hearing develops a ringing noise just from being caught near the blasts (and wobbly movement?); "Gordon, you're still alive! Thank god for that hazard suit".

7. Brian Damage

Possibly a pulsed version of the gluon gun.

8. Beserker

Beserker Newbie

Teleportation...possibility but still not.
    BUT:

They tried to make a teleportation device and found out that it teleports but kills the target(living) before that. Then they decided to use it as a huge gun and implent it to building -sized three-legged thingy.

Then again..not, Atom splitter thirted...something..

9. J Hater

J Hater Guest

i think u'r losing it my man ;)

10. PatPwnt

PatPwnt Newbie

They vaporize into energy... thats it, didn't you see the glowing things that appeared after they poofed? Yea, that's what they turn into. They go to the demension of death...

11. tehsolace

tehsolace Newbie

I bet there gonna have a scientist introduce the gun as an 'experimental weapon', just like that one vacuum sounding gun that had the blue beem in HL1.

12. Beserker

Beserker Newbie

It's DIMENSION

13. LittleB

LittleB Newbie

It really looks to me like they're turned to paper ash, and then just evaporate.

14. McWarren

McWarren Guest

If they wanted them to evaporate, or crumble to ashes, they could do it. It's clear that scientists are continuing their research into Xen and teleportation, so I'm guessing that the Combine developed this into the Irifle/Strider cannon.

15. Lobster

Lobster The Freeman

the Opposing Force transporter gun was interesting, in that every map after you recieve it has a xen section underneath it in the mapping space, so u could go on little trips for health and supplies lol.

16. Mechagodzilla

...or dementia. :D

Anyways, the original teleport gun would be great to have back. Teleporting to BM or Xen would be way cool.
    Also, I'd bet that the stridder's guns are based on some sort of theoretical physics. (Like how the Manipulator makes use of the unproven Hutchinson effect.)

17. DC9884

DC9884 Newbie

what is the hutchinson effect?

18. Ames

Ames Newbie

19. Mac

Mac Newbie

20. Mechagodzilla

Well, that's because it sorta isn't. :)
    No-one has reproduced the effects of Hutchinson's experiments (to my knowledge).
    It might be a hoax, or it might be a huge scientific discovery.
    Valve apparently decided that the latter would make a better weapon. :)

Anyways, it explains the 'welding' and the hovering. The actual launching force is anyone's guess.

21. el Chi

el Chi Newbie

Same. After all, when Freeman gets hit with the same gun, he doesn't transport anywhere either time in the vids.

22. LittleB

LittleB Newbie

whoa that hutcinson shit is crazy! i wanna see some movies of that wood-metal bonding action

23. ferd

ferd Newbie

tbh, I was thinking the same, but where are those ppl teleported to then?

24. phantomdesign

The Hutchison Effect stuff is really cool. I bet the US government has either [1] disproved it by now or [2] already knows how to utalize it.

25. WillH

WillH Newbie

Wow thats some crazy stuff. Seriously. Nuts. I'm gonna go insane now.

26. Beserker

Beserker Newbie

No, the aliens working with the US goverment know how to use it..duh!

But seriously, that thing is simply amazing. It says that the metal starts breaking apart. So, does the effect go to the molecule level and starts ripping that metal apart from there?

That is just simply sweet.

27. Kymera

Kymera Guest

Extremely powerful napalm :p

28. Eejit

Eejit The Freeman

Aaah, the Hutchinson Effect could explain the monkey wrench sticking out of my elbow...
    [/RANDOM]
    It could pretty sweet. So we have levitating objects irl as well as teleporting photons? Nice.

29. MadMechwarrior

30. Impulse147

Impulse147 Newbie

Whats the I in the IRifle stand for?, to me it looks like it scrambles thier body into billions of atoms and then poof thier gone to another dimension.....or dead.

31. bodhi

bodhi Spy

the links to videos posted above this reply are nice bu if you scroll down and view movie 2 for windows media you can see that in the top left hand corner there is a wire moving back and forth up and down in time with the movements of the suposedly 'levitating' object :LOL: . im not saying the 'h-effect' is fake or anything but that is an extremely dodgy video

32. Ownzed

Ownzed Newbie

Remember if you see when Gordon gets hit by the Strider's 'gun', he doesn't get teleported...He just gets injured and his ears ring...So it's obviously not a teleport gun.

33. Sieni

Sieni Newbie

WTF? What is this thing you say that in HL2 video Gordon hear sci saying "Thank god you're alive" crap?

34. PatPwnt

PatPwnt Newbie

no, they made a teleporter... play the leak and you'll see it. That Irifle just vaporizes you... nothing more.

35. snark^

snark^ Newbie

I wasn't quoting the video -- it's a comment made by one of the Walters (Dr. Kleiner style scientists) in HL1 when he's sees you've survived. One of the plot-enhancement dialogues

The 'IRifle' is a grenade launcher of some description. In the tunnels clip it was firing incindery grenades -- the E3 2K4 clip saw it shoot out something like the Strider's main weapon effect (EMP grenades?). It's probably going to work in a manner where you can change the grenade types at the click of the alt-fire button, as with the 'nade-chucker in AvP2.

36. MadMechwarrior

He explains that right under the videos. There doesnt seem to be any kind of string attached to the toy, so I dont think its a fake. Not to mention the guy works with the CIA and NASA...

37. bodhi

bodhi Spy

well i didnt read that bit sorry but it still looks dodgy - and just cos he says the string isnt holding it up doesnt mean it isnt, much like just because he says he works for whoever doesnt mean he does. this is the internet, dont beleive everything you read. if you did beleive everything you layed your eyes on you would have donated your all your money to some cult and would currently be in a shitty little house laying on a bunk bed awaiting your mothership to save you from the second coming. :rolleyes: