Breen's Last Words !?

Discussion in 'Half-Life' started by NJspeed, Sep 14, 2005.

1. NJspeed

NJspeed Newbie

Okay so I've beaten HL2 a bunch of times on my old system which had a measley Santa Cruz Turtle Beach audio card..

Well my new system has a Creative X-Fi sound card, which believe it or not, actually allows you to hear new things in movies and games, because everything comes through so much clearer.. I've watched my favorite movies on the PC and have actually heard NEW things in movies I've watched a hundred times.. things like background voices come through clearer.. and dialogue lines that I've actually missed tons of times, I can now pick up on.

ANYWAY.

Last night I blew up the gate at the end of the game.. and I swear that Breen goes "You need meeeee" as he fell back down the tube and dropped out of sight. Anyway I don't know if anyone has picked up on this, but it's the first time I heard it and I figured I'd post about it. If you listen closely you might be able to hear it, but I certainly missed it a zillion times too. It might be difficult to hear if you dont have a good sound card or speakers, because when theres so many sounds going on like explosions and stuff, minute sounds like this get muddled and drowned out by one another.. Anyway I thought this might be a good clue to the whole plot... Breen apparently knows what the G-man is all about...

2. Asknoone

Asknoone Newbie

How does it show he knows about the Gman?

I heard it first time through, its pretty clear if you ask me. It could mean alot of things, but I certainly don't see where you gather this whole.."Knows about Gman." thing from. He is either referring to humanity, or to the Combine.

3. AJ Rimmer

AJ Rimmer Tank

Yeah, I can hear it too and I have an intergrated soundcard. Your previous sound system must have sucked. He's pleading for the benefactors to save him somehow imo.

4. Asknoone

Asknoone Newbie

Thats a possibility, because I think Breens got this fixation that this multi layered, planet dominating alien race is dependent on this single man. :p

In a way I suppose they are, Breens got Elis local teleportation tech with him.

5. Absinthe

Absinthe The Freeman

I personally think you can interpret it two ways.

1.) He's speaking to the Combine. As in "Don't let me die! You need me if you're to assimilate humanity!".

2.) He's speaking to Gordon and, to a larger extent, humanity. Half last-ditch effort ("Gordon, don't kill me! We could rule the galaxy together!"), half "Gordon, you just ****ed everything up. I hope you're proud of yourself for sewing the seeds of humanity's doom".

I doubt we've seen the last of Breen though.

6. Asknoone

Asknoone Newbie

Definately not...he is still alive I'm sure of it! :D

7. NJspeed

NJspeed Newbie

Well I'm glad you guys heard it too.. it was a shocker to me since I've played through that so many times yet never heard it.. Anyway, I'm not saying that "You need me" is super revealing information.. but when you put it together with what he was saying previously to Gordon about his "contract being open to the highest bidder" etc, it seems he clearly knows more about the G-man and Gordon's whole situation than Gordon himself. I just wonder if Breen is indeed correct, and we may end up finding out that Gordon does in fact need Breen. But honestly, since everyone heard this line but me I guess theres not much to really discuss. I try not to get involved in too much speculation anymore, but it was something cool to hear for the first time.

8. Sulkdodds

Sulkdodds Companion Cube

I can see where he's coming from on the G-Man thing. There was this bit in Syphon Filter 2 where you were aiming a gun at the head of, for all intents and purposes, the main villain. You had to pull the triiger, in-game, and he was saying "Don't do it, Logan. You need me. You need to know what I know. You think you've got the answers? You have no idea how far this thing goes..."

The first time playing HL2, when he shouted "You need meeeeeeeeee!" I suddenly thought: Oh shit, I've forgotten to ask him what he meant with that 'highest bidder' comment.

9. MuToiD_MaN

MuToiD_MaN The Freeman

I'll side with that one. But I'd also add some self-important "ambassador for humanity" crap.

10. Asknoone

Asknoone Newbie

I never thought of it that way...interesting.

11. crownest

crownest Newbie

It is possible that Breen was killed, and may not appear in Aftermath? And the combine are now leader-less

12. Max35

Max35 Tank

Well, I'm sure the Overwatch is leaderless, as for the Combine, I have the feeling after Breen's failure he won't be in charge of any Overwatch forces, he may be delegated to a more political role, if he escapes C17 alive that is. Or the Combine might set a bounty on his head for his unforgivable failure, which is fulfilled by Gordon and the Combine see Gordon's limitless potential.

Or the remaining Overwatch forces might become vengeful and hunt Breen down, that would be a nice twist.

13. Asknoone

Asknoone Newbie

Vengeful for what? They've failed as much as he has.

14. Przemek

Przemek Spy

About seeing Breen in "Aftermath" or a later add-on/HL3... Anybody read "Raising The Bar"?
    Look at page 134 - maybe that's what will happen to Breen?

And the "you need me" thing - maybe Breen is not the bad guy? Maybe eveything was just a show, to trick the alien race? And the only way to do that, was also to lie to all the people, but save humanity and defeat the "universal union" in the end?
    I love the game, you can ask so many questions and so many of them are... cool :p

15. Langolier

Langolier Newbie

I think Breen probably just meant that Humanity needed him in league with the Combine so that they'd augment and absorb humanity rather than eradicating it completely. I don't think he joined up with the Combine just out of a want for power, he probably also did it because he thought armed resistance was futile and the only way for the Human race to survive, no matter the form, was to join the Combine and continue on in whatever manner the Combine saw fit. At the end he probably fears that the Combine will see the Trans-human forces as a waste of time. Afterall; they did managed to get butchered by an out-gunned and possibly out-numbered resistance faction.

16. Max35

Max35 Tank

True, but seeing as how one man surpassed all odds, defeating human and alien forces alike, they may re-think the prospect of humanity being completely useless. Maybe the Combine saw his potential, and the G-man has Gordon working for the Combine in AM, with the sole condition that humanity survives. The G-man afterall, chose to release Gordon when humanity was threatened. So, the G-man isn't shrugging the human race callously aside, for now anyway.

17. Langolier

Langolier Newbie

What alien forces?

Freeman and the resistance may have taken down a few Striders, but I think it's obvious from our brief time spent in the Citadel that the vast majority of the Overwatch, namely the Alien synths, hadn't been utalized. The Resistance had only just barely managed to overcome the Trans-human forces. They were dropping like flies around the Citadel.

Remember the message in the speech Breen gives at Nova Prospeckt.

18. Max35

Max35 Tank

Well, I'm referring to the Striders AND Gunships. Also, Freeman broke into a high security facility like Nova Prospekt, as well as indirectly destroying it (not to mention putting the reactor into meltdown and eventually destroying C17) Remember, The G-man is a free agent it seems, an ever-expanding empire like the Combine would be foolish not to see Freeman's potential.

Also consider what Breen said to the Combine Advisor "It's me you should be considering, I can still deliver Earth but not without your help". This is obviously implying that the Advisor was considering salvaging someone else. Who else would it be besides Freeman, the man who wreaked havok in such a short period of time, a quick display of power that wouldn't have gone unnoticed. And perhaps Freeman was released without the G-man's consent. The combine have power that probably rival G-Man's own.

19. Langolier

Langolier Newbie

He could still be afraid that they'd take Freeman (assuming that's what they were talking about) and then doom the rest of Humanity. Aside from Freeman, none of them have done anything that impressive. Remember the real Combine military crushed Earth in just seven hours.

20. Sulkdodds

Sulkdodds Companion Cube

OR DID THEY? It might have all just been probaganda! [​IMG]

21. 15357

15357 Companion Cube

Poor Breen. All he wanted was just humanity to survive and prosper. That shithead freeman ruined it all.......

I liked his speeches. I was actually touched by them....

anyway, poor breen again.

22. okidoki

okidoki Spy

I still don't get what Breen was trying to do at the end. He said Gordon would be destroyed, so does this mean the reactor would explode regardless of whether or not he teleported? Was he willing to sacrifice the citadel just so he could escape Gordon? Where was he trying to go? Xen or the combine's world or just somewhere else on Earth?

23. Sulkdodds

Sulkdodds Companion Cube

He was escaping through to the Combine Homeworld, because when the portal he was going to ascend to opened, you could see an alien sky and gunships through it. He wasn't going to blow the citadel; the idea was that the enormous energies pulsing through the reactor chamber would destroy you utterly when he got teleported. Fortunately for you, he never did.