Below are the links to 4 new videos showcasing the new 'Survival Mode' which will be available with the free downloadable content release on PC and xbox 360. The videos show one of the survival maps from the Dead Air campaign, and the other three show action from the new lighthouse map.
Secondly IGN have enjoyed a hands-on play test with Valve and put down their thoughts here. Its a good read, with some great information about what to expect from Survival mode specifically. Some of the key points are as follows:
- In all of the play testing that the Valve designers have done while creating this mode, none of them have ever survived past the 10 minute mark. The best so far was about nine minutes, with a team of elite players battling like crazy to keep one another alive. IGN's experience at Valve averaged around three or four minutes a round.
- You'll get multiples boss zombies at a time; they often saw two or three hunters or smokers leaping around the battle while the mindless horde minions were everywhere. In one battle, there was a tank, a boomer, a couple of smokers, and a hunter hitting us at the same time. It's even possible to get two tanks at the same time
- 12 Survival levels available, 11 of which are taken and modified from the existing four campaigns
- There is one entirely brand-new level in the DLC called Lighthouse which the designers say may be the toughest level of them all
- You can earn bronze, silver, and gold medals if you survive long enough. Though the medal times for each map will be tailored for each map, right now the basic idea is that you need to survive for at least four minutes to get bronze, six minutes to get silver, and eight minutes to get gold.